Netlogger lurker wanting to just lurk?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by W0JKT, Aug 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I often just peak at various nets on Netlogger (which I love). Often I have no intention of checking in unless I see a QTH or person I am interested in working. Or, just curious about what is going on. I usually don't have time to be on hours-long nets but sometimes check-in near the end if I am interested.

The problem I have is often will "lurk" on netlogger and all of a sudden the NC may say "Hi Dave, glad to have you!"... Huh? Sometimes I will use AM to say don't have time to check in just lurking.

Question: Doesn't the NC have to actively use the "monitors" button to see us, lurkers? Or are some NC so desperate for check-ins they keep checking that?

Is there any way to set up a separate account maybe as ANON when I want to secretly lurk? It doesn't seem so and would want to switch back to my real call if I really want to check-in.

Netlogger has a neat prior net feature. However, it seems not all nets are shown. For example, I often monitor (and sometimes check-in as a participant) in HHH net. But its prior nets do not show up in the prior history section. I have tried each server. A bit confused about the "merge" button it doesn't seem to merge so I checked each server separately.

2. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the big blue buttons near the top under net control or operator info in "View Monitors".
    If NC has this pop-up open he can see the lurkers.
    Well, anyone can view it when monitoring a net.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why assume the NC is desperate for check ins ? Maybe he is just being friendly. I keep the monitor window open and see all the lurkers. I often say hello to unfamiliar lurkers if things are slow. There is no obligation to respond. And I never assume that a lurker wants to check in.

On high-band nets and poor prop, lurkers can actually be quite helpful, if they post who they are hearing it gives some clues about propagation paths.

On the OMISS 12 meter nets we don't get that many check ins these days ( our best was 61, but in poor prop more usually 10-20 ), but we do tend to have a lot of lurkers. Most are unable to check in because they don't hear anyone over the air, or they are not heard by someone already checked in.

W0JKT likes this.
  4. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good observations yes more just being friendly. Netlogger is so much nicer as a participant and probably even more so by NC's especially with someone else keeping up with the log as the AZ logger does on HHH. So much different than when I ran the MN phone net in 75m in the 1960s.

Have often peaked into OMISS as well as YLSSB where I have a very low 5242 member number since I was so active decades ago. OMISS has a great website and archive just a bit overwhelming at times with so many check-ins and how long it would take to fully participate.

Peaking in to see where folks are helps determine propagation. More an issue late night on 40m. I have access to 3 remote systems and about 25 locations so the nerd in me likes to compare from different locations and also sometimes check the SDRs around the country. On 40 I have 4 elements at 175 feet in NE US but I often hear most stations stronger from a much smaller Portland station for HHH on 40!

Propagation is especially bad on 40 it seems late at night. Because I am so busy with business often don't get to ham till about 0700Z. Which is ideal for HHH and am planning to be a night owl on the early bird net on 75 - which often seems to have less noise than 40 late at night. I hope to get on more during the day once I can get caught up on work.

N4UP likes this.