ad: wmr-1

Nerd questions about new call

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA0JKT, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:04 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA0JKT

WA0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Changing call to WOJKT dropping my "A". Prior holder let it lapse in 2014 and on the ae7q site prediction is the assignment in green and status pending level 2. The receipt date is 12/29 and the process date is 1/16/2021.
    Questions:
    1) How am I notified? Like the moment my WAOJKT call is canceled I need to use the new call?. I plan to participate in contests (NA QSO and Hungarian DX) that start on 1/16 and hope to use the new call.

2) Does the change actually happen on the "process date" since it is just an estimate which is the next day after the batch date. I read further that between 0000 and 0200 ET processing occurs in random order within the batch based on the receipt date. So other than the date is an "estimate' if the FCC computers are doing good should have by 0200 ET?

I am doing a checklist of to-do's.
    Change call for LOTW via the TQSL program, change here on QRZ, saving the html version of bio so will have to redo after call change, log books saved as ADI file etc, etc, etc. Start new logs but on N3FP think can be combined... Hope I can get it done right and quickly!
    Thanks

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing to change here. It will update automatically and your bio page remains under the new call. Looking up your old call will redirect to the new one. You will need to add the new call to the logbook and set the dates accordingly. They can't overlap. You can set the new call as default.
    Be patient. It takes a few days. Don't screw with the process by trying to create a new page.
    You may be notified by mail if you have that box checked on the ULS. Better to watch it manually for the latest update. QRZ will lag behind that.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use K3Y/0 for the rest of the month.

Seems like everybody else is doing that.:p

Seriously, hope you enjoy the new call!

KA3CTQ and (deleted member) like this.
  4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How? I looked for that option and can't find it.

5. KP4SX

From the list of logbooks in the dropdown box, if you have multiple ones, select the one you want and check the box.
    default.jpg

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nerd questions about new call

nerds.jpg

W3SY, W2AI and KK9W like this.
  7. K5WY

Thanks! I think the problem was that both of my logbooks (old and new call) were set as default. I deselected default for my old call, hope that works :)

WZ7U likes this.
  8. KP4SX

Might need to log out and back in for it to click. Dunno - just guessing.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. K5WY

It seems to be working now. If I open my log it defaults to my new call instead of my old, which it didn't do before.

Again, thanks for the lead.

KP4SX likes this.
  10. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

Bottom line up front: check your call status on the FCC ULS. Once it is posted there, it's official and you can start using the new call.

- You will not be notified, unless you have that check-box checked in your FCC CORES account.

- If everything works right, you should have your new call right after you pour your morning coffee and log in to the ULS on the 16th. If there is a problem, and we are talking about the Government here, it can be delayed. The AE7Q prediction is based on everything working right. It is not the final authority.

Bottom line: Wait for your new call to show up in the ULS - that is the only official source. AE7Q, QRZ are not official sources. They derive their information from the FCC and may, in fact, be a couple of days behind. Use your current call until the new one shows up in the ULS. Once it does, start using it.

Have fun with the new call and the contests.

Regards,
    -Bruce

WA0JKT and WZ7U like this.