Neighbor got solar system and trashes HF....what's next?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5GIE, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5GIE

W5GIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went on vacation and returned to see my neighbor got a solar system. My first time turning the rig on showed RFI on all HF bands with the worst being 20 meters. While I don't anticipate any problems with the neighbor himself, I'd like to have both of us with operable equipment. Suggestions?

Here's what it looks like:
    20 meter solar panel RFI small.jpg

2. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Get him interested in amateur radio. He's already interested in off-grid power, which is no simple electrical project. The two of you can gain from each other's projects and cooperate to mitigate unwanted side effects.

Berj / KI3U

KD8ZMN likes this.
  3. W5GIE

W5GIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestion, but that isn't going to happen. He's a great guy, but has zero interest in anything technical.

4. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep........ your correct that's a mess. I'm wondering just what in the solar system may be causing this, the inverter? Could it be that something in the system is operating incorrectly? Living in CA Im guessing this is a larger system. After reading your QRZ page Wayne and seeing your education level and radio background company career I suspect you have a much higher knowledge level than most here regarding this matter. I'm interested in your thoughts. 73, Rich

5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Start of with getting a list of components of his system .
    Next is just like looking for issue in your own home - turn off all power to everything in your house , use a battery to operate the radio / bands being interfered with , turn on one breaker at a time to see what brings the RFI , then disconnect everything on that breaker - till you find the cause of RFI .
    Same with his solar , the most common are battery charger / controller and then the inverter .
    Some brands are really bad at causing RFI , and some create just some RFI , if he has bad brand of component - then getting a better unit .
    Once all components are of low RFI producing - only then [ #1 on reducing RFI is - reducing / finding better gear ] start covering up with chokes , filters and shielding .

7. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Move to an HOA community where they ban solar panels :D

US7IGN, KD8DEY, NL7W and 4 others like this.
  8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pray for a huge hailstorm?
    Hail is not friendly to solar panels.
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
    Jon

9. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would first approach him in a 'neighborly' way and explain what has happened. See if you can determine that its the solar system. I'd then suggest asking him to call in his installer to resolve it.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I see where the state of Kalifornia requires all new houses built after 2020 to have roof solar panels installed.

where is any action from the arrl?........................ sound of crickets