Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess that now, with digital TV, it's probably a nonexistent thing.

2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that site still have a link to the black helicopter autopsy photos?

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife can "freeze" our HDTV, but only if she keys up her mobile on 2m at 50 watts, while still near the TV antenna.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can recall several times I got complaints about antennas and they were always the same. A nosy neighbor would stop by and try to act casual while remarking about my antenna/antennas. Next would be the escalation phase where I was interfering with everything, even when I wasn't home. One time when I lived in Florida we were visiting my family in California and sister in law was house sitting. A neighbor, much like the OP's friend, banged on the door and yelled at her that I was messing up his TV. She asked him when that was? He said, now, right now.

She invited him in and showed him my radio, the power was unplugged and so was the antenna, She informed him that we had not been home for the last week. He then screamed that she was using it and managed to unplug it just before he showed up. At that point she called the police. They took a report of harassment and that he had threatened her. Never heard from him again.

The next summer we were moving and the neighbor behind us, a good guy, was asking me where we were moving to, I asked him about the screamer. He said that guy was nuts, he moved about six months before, we didn't even know it. He said the guy told him he hated that blanking eye sore in the young guys back yard and was going to make him take it down. He never had any TVI, he just hated my antenna. Sadly, there are people like that.

N4AAB and KC8VWM like this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

he's good regardless of his looks. I used to listen to him on the Dr. Demento show... now my son has discovered him on YouTube. He's awesome :)

6. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

The best was the neighbor that reported having TVI
    When asked what was being recieved she replied she could clearly understand everything being said. Complemented on her proficiency and knowledge of CW, she admitted that she actually wasnt into CW but she knew enough to recognize that Ache Breaky Heart song and could also recognize Johnny Cash or Dolly Parton if she heard them being played. It was then explained that CW was a form of telegraphy and that the communication was accomplished by spelling out phrases using morse code.
    She said that was exactly the source of interference she had been recieving . The letters of the alphabet continued to pop up across the television screen blocking out the picture. When asked what the letters spelled, she said although they were quite clear, they obviously had been sent in that secret code and didnt make any sense.
    So much for understanding everything being said eh?

WZ7U, N5AL, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  7. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those secret Q signals... her TV tuner was probably stuck on the PBS channel!
    q1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    WZ7U and KC8VWM like this.
  8. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had two incidents that merit mention. One was being stopped by the police and interrogated what the two hamsticks on my van were for. Before I played my FD ID card, he ran my L&R, probably did a wants and warrants, and asked why I had a lightning bolt on my license plate, and why my registration didn't show it.
    Showed my ID and asked if he knew a local that I worked with. Yes he did. Turns out there had been a rash of burglaries, entry being gained thru electric garage doors. He wondered if a "high power mobile radio" could activate a GDO. I offered my opinion, and left. Yup, he called my co-worker the next day.
    The second was a visit from a "cable guy". I was getting ready to sell my house and the last part of my station left was a tower and tribander. This guy started slinging CB terms and segued into how I was responsible for destroying several parts of the local cable system. He said the FCC knew of my illegal activities was going to be all over me for violating their laws. I asked him to come back with them. Never did. If this guy didn't have a cable company ID, I would have thought of his actions as a prelude to a push-in.
    Mike N3PM

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny you should mention that...

Quite a few years back, at a previous QTH, the local cable company (then known as Centre Video) had a bad system issue on Cable Channel 19. Everytime the local public safety dispatch fired up (you can see their tower... well, the one they used in the borough at the time... to this day).

I called one day to report the issue. 1st tier support told me the problem was that “CB Ham” who was running “too much power” in my neighborhood. I asked her who they were talking about, and she mentioned my street. So I asked her “was that house number ####?” She replied, “yes, that’s the guy!”

At which point I informed her that I was “that guy”, that the issue was ongoing as we spoke so obviously I wasn’t using my radio, that I was licensed, that I ran legal power, and that if I had any flack from neighbors that she had told this to, they would be hearing from my lawyer. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor.

After 10 minutes on hold, phone call was mysteriously disconnected. Imagine that.

Never heard another word about it. Not that they ever fixed the leak, either.

10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you say must be true. I saw it on TV in a very informative show many years ago. I saw it happen first hand to Gilligan on Gilligan's Island. He was receiving a broadcast through his teeth!! :rolleyes:

John, WB0MPB

WR2E and VE1DDD like this.