Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a student up at Penn State, Sweepstakes Phone was a big deal. The school at the time was on a term system (not a semester system), and SS came the weekend after Fall Term finals.

One year, we’re cruising along, early Saturday evening, on 20 meters, when a knock comes on the door. A very pretty but upset YL comes in. Long story short, her fiancé, a graduate student, is despearately trying to complete his final project for the term (offhand I don’t recall now what it was), and the K3CR SB-220 was just plain overloading his project and making his readings worthless. (Obviously, the lab or office he was working in was right under the TH6DXX we had 40 feet up on the roof).

She asked if we could just stop for an hour, at most. Her fiancé wouldn’t need more than that. And she’d do ANYTHING...

(Wipe those thoughts out of your mind, we were gentlemen. That’s our story and we’re sticking to it!)

She was polite, she did ask nicely, she did acknowledge that the cause of the issue was the project, not anything we were doing wrong... and we were fellow students.

We took an hour break for pizza. And a touch over a half hour later, they both came back up and told us all was done, project was turned in, and they were heading out for term break.

Sometimes these stories DO have a happy ending.

KD0DQZ, N2EY, N2SR and 5 others like this.
  2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have only ever received one RFI complaint. It came from a neighbor some forty years ago who contacted the FCC instead of talking to me about it. The "letter" had dates and times. The FCC assumed I was the culprit and insisted I explain how I would remedy the situation. I responded politely, explaining that I had been overseas on government business, not home, with everything turned off and grounded. Never heard from them again.

Where I live now all my neighbors know me as the guy who has that big tower, not that anything can be seen by any neighbors, given my 15 acres of pine trees, but those who have stopped to visit have spread the word. I have been here for five years, no complaints. Of course it's a rural area and I planned the locations of both towers ( one existing and one planned ) and both ( 160m and 80m ) vertical antennas to give as much "neighbor" separation as possible. I have three neighbors within 700 feet of my home. The closest either tower is to a neighbor is 300 feet. The closest either vertical is to a neighbor is also 300 feet ( different neighbor ).

I try to be a good neighbor, but many folks simply don't understand RF ( or radiation ).

I was once planning on building a research facility in rural Grant County, Oklahoma to study atmospheric radiation. Folks were convinced that our radiation would kill the cows, sterilize the women, etc. I held a public meeting, listened respectfully to the concerns raised, said we would set up the system temporarily, and have an open house, so people could come out and see what it was all about. We had several thousand people show up ( including the governor and some of the congressional delegation ) and they could see for themselves that it was no threat to anyone, that even the cows liked it. For that community it was the biggest no-big-deal of the decade. The facility is still going strong after 28 years and not one complaint since the original proposal. Note that I was not required to have a public hearing and did not need local approvals, we could have ignored their concerns, but it is better to be good neighbors than not. We became an accepted part of the community, hiring and training local talent as technicians, buying locally, having an educational outreach, etc.

K8TJW, WZ7U and KJ4VTH like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cute story, and very believable.

I used to get a lot of "very real" RFI/TVI complaints a long time ago...a really long time ago.

In 1970-ish I was still living at home with my parents in NJ. Nobody had satellite or cable TV, everyone used an antenna to receive OTA broadcasts and we were in a Channel 2 area (WCBS-TV in NYC). I ran a kilowatt on 6m to a six element beam on a roof tower over my parents' house.

6m and Channel 2 OTA analog TV don't get along well.:p Almost every time I operated with the amp on, which was almost every night, we'd get TVI complaints. They were real.

I bought my first home in 1974 and it was atop a very large hill, highest spot in the area (of course, I'd picked it for that, because I was into weak-signal VHF work) and still ran a kW on 6m, and still no satellite/cable TV. Because we were on a hilltop, although 40 miles from NYC, a lot of the neighbors just used "rabbit ear" antennas for reception and normally that worked fine not only for the NYC stations, but also for the Philadelphia stations, like CH-3 (80 miles to the south, but this was a hilltop and it came in fine -- usually).

I'd get on 6m with the kW every Sunday morning very early to work meteor scatter. That always seemed to "peak" just before sunrise, or maybe about sunrise for some reason I never quite understood. And there was a ton of 6m m.s. activity on SSB and CW -- mostly SSB. One morning around 6:00 my neighbor from across the street pounded on my front door. I got off the air and answered it. He was standing there with a shotgun (loaded? -- I don't know) threatening me because I was screwing up his TV. I'm sure I really was. But I had to ask, "What are you watching at 6 AM on Sunday? Cartoons?" That annoyed him.

Funny part was, I had a big outdoor TV antenna on a rotator and while operating 6m with a kW, I didn't interfere with my own TV sets at all...not a blip. So, I invited him in to watch whatever he wanted while I was on the air. That didn't go over so well and he threatened me, holding up his shotgun.

I got rid of him and called the police. Amazingly, they actually showed up in about five minutes and one of the cops knew something about FCC regulations (no clue why) and said to me, "I think this is a Federal matter and there's nothing we can do...but if a guy threatened you with a gun, there is something we can do about that."

They went across the street to have a chat with the neighbor, who never complained again.:)

But TVI "used to be" a very real thing. Thankfully today, it's a very rare thing.

WD4IGX, N1ZPY and VK4HAT like this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

And I thought that I had it rough, my neighbor only came over to punch my head in the day I put up my antenna "i will punch that drongo in the head" is the aussie way, not turn up with a shot gun to blow it off. Sheeesh

I was kind of a smart arse about it all also, getting him all fired up with my sarcastic humor. Angry people live it when you tell them to go have a cup of tea and a lay down. LOL. So after trolling him for 15mins or so, I said if he was serious that we should go down the PCYC and put on some gloves and jump in the ring, because i would knock him out within 3 rounds. He left after that. LOL he did not know i was bluffing, i cannot even make a fist anymore with the arthritis in my hands HAHAHAHAHA I would have had to bitch slap him to death.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    WR2E likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Now there's a perfect example of what NOT to say to a person who is angry and carrying a shotgun.

:D:p

N5PAR, N2UHC and AB8MA like this.
  6. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

I can turn on all my neighbor’s outdoor lights by pointing my 70cm beam at his house and keying up 25-50 watts. He however does NOT know why it happens. Good for me, sucks for him if I’m chatting late at night with someone.

N1ZPY likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Prozac is for depression; thorazine is for hallucinations.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not crazy, so i would not know either way.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

come on sport, you know you would have just bought him a few pints and left him on the floor.:D

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How much power do you run on FT8 ?