ad: elecraft

Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in VK we are taught in our licensing lessons that the best way to deal with crazy people is to give them the number for ACMA to call and lodge thier complant. Perhaps the best thing you can do here is give this woman the number to the FCC explaining that this is the governmental agency that deals with all radio interferance complaints. She can call them and vent her hysteria.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing new.....this cartoon is at least 50 years old.....

th.jpg

KD0DQZ, K2IE, WQ4G and 4 others like this.
  3. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

resonant fillings: Lucille Ball

opinions of the veracity vary widely.

4. W9RTB

W9RTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm standing my ground the antenna stays up. Even the HOA is on my side and likes the idea of emergency communications if needed. I was on FT8 this morning ay 8:30AM and not a word about today. I might tell her to file a complaint with the FCC since all is good on my end.
    Many thanks for all the replies some made me laugh:)
    Randy

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regardless of all our knowledgeable humor on the subject, complaints like this are no fun to receive or deal with. Even being irrationally based, the problem for you is no less real. I suspect this nice lady has been the victim of an alien abduction, and that a probe was left behind. Tell her that a knowing expert has suggested this to you, and that HE says she needs to see her doctor right away because is likely that removal of the implant will help her with this and other problems she hasn't even experienced yet. For example, has she noticed her husband behaving oddly towards her lately? With luck she will act on this advice and her doctor will find the cause.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

She's hoping he will become "reasonable folk" so she can hang him out to dry with the HOA president later.

Taking the antenna down temporarily at night just to appease her is the same exact thing as admitting that your station is causing a problem.

It just serves to validate her nutty stories she told others (behind your back of course) and "validation" is exactly what she wants from others. So that's why she made the request. She wants you to help validate her nuttiness.

Some people might simply take it down temporarily at night just to be a nice guy, or to appear as a cooperative neighbor.

Unfortunately, that's not going to work out in your favor in this case.

So then you will notice what will start out as a "temporary" measure, will later suddenly change and becomes a problem occurring around the clock 24/7 !!

After all, t hat's why you have agreed to take it down temporarily at night right? (As she will explain to the HOA president behind your back)

See what she's trying to do yet?

So just leave that antenna exactly right where it's at... :)

KD0DQZ, KA4DPO, W4ZD and 2 others like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The good news is that you now know that RFI isn't the real problem. :eek:

KC8VWM and WZ7U like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy her earplugs and see if she still hears it.

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and if she still hears it, buy her prozac

WZ7U likes this.
  10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The rectification of r.f. signals by metallic tooth fillings has been verified. Fortunately, not that common.

In the early 1950s, my grandmother had metal clotheslines in the backyard. Whenever my grandfather got close to them he would start hearing an AM broadcast station. At first, everyone thought he was joking, and then that he was balmy. However, he was able to identify which station he was hearing and had someone, inside the house, tune a radio to that station. Then, he would tell what was being broadcast at that exact time and the person, inside the house, could verify that he was actually receiving the station. He died in 1953 before there was much publicity about such things. But, I am sure that the clothesline was acting as an antenna and then a tooth filling was rectifying the signal.

My antennas can be seen from the freeway almost a mile away so they are definitely not hidden from view. When I had just gotten them installed, my then next door neighbor came out and said that they didn't look anywhere near as bad as what he had imagined. In fact, according to him, they didn't look "half bad"! That same neighbor, whenever he saw me climbing the tower, would say that he was glad he had taken out a life insurance policy, on me, with him as the beneficiary!

By this time, I have been, on the street, longer than anyone else. Everyone now living on this street bought their house knowing that the antennas were there. In fact, I have a few neighbors who tell me that, if I ever move, I have to leave my main tower behind! It seems the tower is the landmark by which they tell people how to find their houses!

Not that long after I put up the tower, there was a complete electrical failure at the location where all of the Dallas / Fort Worth television stations were located. Only 1-station had a backup generator and that was only able to run a relatively low power backup transmitter.

Living across the street was the neighborhood grouch. He never complained about my antennas but, every school day, would try to run off, from the sidewalk, children waiting for the school bus. The official school bus stop was between his house and the house next door. On the evening the television stations went off the air, he came across the street and banged on my door. When my wife answered the door, he started shouting that I had to get off the air because he couldn't receive any television station. It just happened that evening was the meeting of the local amateur radio club and most operators in the city, including me, were at the meeting.

My wife informed the neighbor that I was not even home. Then, she explained that there was a power failure out at Cedar Hill and only Channel 4 was on the air and that signal was weak. The neighbor had an inside antenna and could not receive that station although we had an outside antenna and could receive them. He then got very emotional explaining that his favorite program was gong to be broadcast, in a few minutes, and that he had popped a large bowl of popcorn in anticipation of watching the program. My wife said that he shuffled back across the street with his head bowed!

Several months after I moved in, it was the CQ WW DX contest and I was heavily involved. After several hours, a neighbor, who lived a couple of houses, across the alley, came knocking on my door. He was receiving my transmissions on his extensive stereo equipment. That problem was easy to fix by putting bypass capacitors across the speaker terminals on the amplifier. After that, no more interference.

Several years later, I was on the air when a neighbor, 2-houses up the street, called and asked if I could stay off the air for an hour. This neighbor was actually going to move the next day. He explained that he was going to "tape" a particular radio show and I was getting into the recorder. I asked him how long this had been going on and he replied "ever since you moved in"! So, I asked him why he had not said anything before. He said that he had discovered if he ran the recorder off batteries that I did not interfere. However, the batteries had gone dead and he didn't have time to get any more. Of course, I stayed off the air for that hour.

There is one neighbor, who moved in years after I was here, that just doesn't like the antennas. He also was making copies of various audio CDs and had a rat's nest of wires connecting various pieces of equipment. I was getting into his recordings. I offered to help him get things right but he refused saying that he had a "CB" friend who would help. After that, no more complaints.

The final complaint, and that he just mentioned one time when we were talking, was from my former next door neighbor who was a computer consultant. He had at least 15-computers, all with external speakers, running 24-hours a day. There was exactly 1-speaker that I occasionally got into. I offered him ferrite to put on the speaker lead. But, he said that he just unplugged that speaker whenever he heard anything.

Glen, K9STH