Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Many moons ago I was the dispatcher at Cablevision of Charlotte. Had a complaint regarding ch.2 /6m TVI and when I saw the address I realized it was in the same block as an acquaintance of mine (Ed) who was a big 6m guy.
    I mentioned it to him and he said he had never heard of any complaints. There was an AC power supply for the system on a pole in front of his house. I asked the tech for the area to take a special look at this and he obliged.
    Problem found. Normally AC power is inserted on the cable with a device called a 'power inserter'. In other disciplines they use different terms like 'diplexer' for this function but the idea is the same in that there is no RF continuity on the AC port.
    Someone had used a power passing directional coupler here. You can't tell them apart standing on the ground. The tech spotted that and replaced it with the correct device and that was the end of that.

2. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

The Cable Company was run by a Lady named Joyce (Last named withheld) who wanted the CB Station shutdown since it was interfering with Channel 18 Mid band which was HBO Scrambled with the pilot freq at 145.250 MHZ. 2 meter transmissions killed the cable system so the cable brass wanted the hams shut down, several other Hams just avoided the situation and the cable company liked to throw their weight around.

The Cable lady drove up in my front yard and threatened me with jail (I Used to work for the Sheriff) if I didn't shut down immediately and I told her to BESS MON CHU (PM ME FOR THE TRANSLATION) she better clean up the cable mess since it was bleeding everywhere! She argued and I told her to call the FCC which she was happy to do. The FCC guy drove up in my yard the next day with the Cable Tech and "Engineer" from the Cable Co in Tow. They were acting Smug and the FCC guy, Mr. Walt asked me to fire it up and send out some 144 MHz stuff and then he asked to put it on 145.250 at 15 watts (mid power) and send out a test signal consisting of my call sign and location. His receiver/tester showed no deviation or harmonics, it was properly phase modulated. The Tech was shouting the TV inside the reporting neighbors house was acting up when I transmitted and the FCC guy asked to go see and the neighbor let him in. About a minute later he (the FCC) reappeared (Meanwhile the Cable head "Engineer" was taunting me with "THAT'S YOUR A$$") and then FCC guy went back to my two meter radio, a Kenwood 231A and heard the pilot signal and then asked me to go to 143.750 and he heard a cable voice carrier with an S-9 signal! When he went out to his car the Cable Folks were not happy, they now knew it was their A$$ might have a problem. Mr. Walt asked me if I heard anything else and put on an Aircraft scanner and showed him the stop points in the Midband and Super Band Cable areas and he was writing and taking notes. That is when he asked if he could my house phone, ok. The cable folks schedadled at this point and left for parts unknown, aka their office! Mr. Walt left to go eat and returned about 2 hours later with another FCC guy and they went off and surveyed South Lafourche and Grand Isle. After getting some other complaints, Callais Cablevision was fined $133,000 for Air Band Leakage, NO EAS and several other items in 2002. They replaced a helluva lot of cable and upgraded the system. Today, we use Dish! LOL

KX4O, N0TZU, N2UHC and 5 others like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

K6LPM and WD0BCT like this.
  4. ZL3OF

ZL3OF Ham Member QRZ Page

I once had a neighbour come banging on the door complaining that I was causing interference on his portable radio which was his sole source of entertainment, so it really was a problem for him. The interference occurred only when using 2m FM which I thought was rather odd considering I was only using 10 watts to a vertical up about 12 metres. I invited him into the shack and the look on his face was priceless when I carried on with a 2m rag-chew with a portable t.v and a broadcast FM radio running in the background, with no interference on either. Told him to contact the RFS (Radio Frequency Service, the ZL equivalent of the FCC) and never heard anymore until a good friend who was one of the local RFS inspectors and also a ham told me what happened.

Turns out the guy did complain and, unknown to me, the RFS did investigate and having no issue with my operations, asked the guy to bring his portable radio in to their office. He did so, it was such a heap of junk that they just laughed at him and told him to go buy a decent radio.

Ian
    ZL3OF

N0TZU, N5PZJ, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but bourbon tastes better.

N5PZJ and K4PIH like this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... and fixes just about everything!!

7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, it's his voice backwards:eek:

8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's nothing. When our clothes dryer is done running, it sends a Morse code V three times at about 8 WPM.

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago when I lived in a different town, there was a repeater a town away on 146.250 that I couldn't use at all because the cable TV leakage was so strong I had a constant S9 signal there. I didn't know to go down to 143.750 and listen for audio.

That was back in the day I noticed a warbling tone on 108.something FM, was curious as to what it was and tried to DF it, but driving around town I heard it EVERYWHERE! Turns out it is a signal used by the cable company to locate leaks, and their system was incredibly leaky. That was confirmed when I held a scanner with antenna removed next to the cable coming into our house and heard it strong.

The small town I live in now has absolutely no cable TV service any more. Everyone's using either dish or internet services like Netflix or Hulu.

N5PZJ likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

That was called the Sniffer! I've got one of the transmitters here in the junk somewhere.