ad: Correctmanual-1

Neighbor complaint YOU HAVE TO READ THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RTB, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. W9RTB

W9RTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is an email I got this morning. The antenna is a vertical 31', no amp. Up for 12 yrs with HOA approval
    How would you handle this? She is hearing broadcast stations not ham transmission.
    See below
    Randy
    W9RTB

Asking as a neighbor. Will you be so kind as to take down your large antenna at Night? And please use between Business house of 9am-7pm.
    When you both where away. I heard no music or broadcast from other places/countries. I actually got to sleep thru the night!!!
    It is very disruptive of sleep. Somehow this is transmitting thru our home! We have now confirmed it is not our neighbor downstairs.
    These are the hours I have noted the music/radio other country language, since you have been back from your vacation:
    Sat: 11/3/18 2am-4am

6:30am

Sun:11/4/18 2am-

Mon: 11/5/18 8:30-10:30pm

Tues: 11/6/18 3am-4:00am

You know I have been asking you about this for 2 years now. And I have researched many aspects. So we are asking nicely and don't want you not to use your radio but just on business hours. This is a residential neighborhood.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. K5AMT

K5AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

What is she hearing the music / Broadcast through? Baby Monitor, Clock Radio, other cheaply made electronic equipment?

Did you disconnect your equipment while you were on Vacation?

3. K5AMT

I had a neighbor that swore up and down my dipole was causing all manner of clicks and pops in his PC Speakers. He approached me one afternoon and I was able to hear it. To prove my point, we walked into my yard, disconnected the Antenna and walked back over to the still popping PC speakers.

That blew that theory out of the water. Never did figure out what it was, I instructed him to keep the speakers on while powering off things in the house to see if he could narrow it down and find the culprit. He never bothered me about it again.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a neighbor complain about my radio transmission opening her garage door. But she couldn't come up with a time that coincided with my operating times. So me, and a few other neighbors, started watching for her garage to open/close arbitrarily. It turned out that her garage door opener was responding to airplane transmissions. Every time a big jet came over head, her garage door would open. We changed the switched in her opener and remote, and the problem went away.

But back to the original problem, does any of those time correspond with your operating? It's common for people with large entertainment centers to turn off the source of the audio/video, but forget to turn off their amplifiers. The amps can easily pick up audio from AM broadcasts. If the neighbor will work with you, it shouldn't be too difficult to determine the source of the problem.

In an apartment I had, when I was young, I use to have a kitchen sink that played a AM raidio station all day. It never really bothered me.

5. W9RTB

W9RTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope none of the above only in her head. No RX through anything in her home. Can't put it any other way. At the time she claims, I'm still in dream land. Her husband hears nothing at all.
    The HOA President came over when the neighbor called and heard nothing. I also heard nothing when I went there.

6. K5AMT

Resonant fillings in her teeth...

NL7W, N4AAB, KM6LYW and 1 other person like this.
  7. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been observed elsewhere. however may be urban legend but worth a look. Dont say open wide to her.

K5AMT likes this.
  8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

When I lived in West Texas in the early 80s, an old man who lived next door to a ham had a new pacemaker installed. The ham had a large radio tower in his back yard. That neighbor was convinced that radio signals were causing him daily pain and keeping him awake at night. He threatened to sue him if he did not take down the radio tower. The ham tried to explain that he was not even home 90% of the time but the man would not listen to reason and continued his threats. Finally, the ham had enough and set up an “experiment” to resolve the issue. He borrowed several security type TV cameras and a split screen video tape recorder and enlisted the help of a couple of his ham friends to assist him in the experiment. When the neighbor came out to cut his grass he had his friend operate the radio transmitter at full power while he was out in his own front yard in full view of the neighbor slowly sweeping his own driveway. All of this was captured on video tape. He waved at his neighbor who just gave him a nasty look and kept on cutting his grass.

He then went into his house, turned off and unplugged all of his transmitters and disconnected the coaxial cable going to the antenna. He then began to rotate his antenna which made a prominent buzzing noise. The neighbor heard the noise, looked up at the rotating antenna, grabbed his chest and collapsed in his yard, ordering his wife to call an ambulance. All of this was captured on the split screen video tape recorder.

The next day, an attorney representing the neighbor called the ham about his client who was in the hospital undergoing tests. (As a side note, one has to understand that in West Texas there can be a very informal atmosphere.) The ham explained what had happened and offered to send the attorney a copy of the video tape. The attorney declined the offer and, after consulting with his client’s wife, the gentleman was moved from the hospital to a senior citizen’s facility.
    Tom WA4ILH

KD0DQZ, K8BZ, KC0KEK and 7 others like this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Ridiculous though it may be, it sounds like she genuinely believes your antenna and radio is the cause of her problem. I predict she won't give up until she gets some satisfaction. I don't think telling her she's wrong is going to help a thing, even though it may be correct.

I'd do my best to try and help her figure out the source of the noise. Loan her a tape recorder, whatever.

One thing worse than having a crazy neighbor is having a crazy neigbor who is convinced you are an evil person out to get her.

W4RAV and K2CAJ like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was about to move into a new house in NJ back in 1978 -- and had already installed a tower and three beams but hadn't moved in yet, and the antennas were connected to "nothing," -- just cables laying on the ground -- my new neighbor across the street came to tell me ever since I installed the tower her refrigerator defroster stopped working, and the cause was obviously my antennas.

Old lady, probably in her 70s or maybe 80s. And evidently a moron.

I asked her in a pretty quiet voice, "Are you familiar with the C.I.A.?"

She answered, "Yes."

I said, "Well, I really can't say any more."

She went back across the street and never complained again.

W2NAP, KD0DQZ, WD4IGX and 14 others like this.