ad: vanity

Negligent hams

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by N7IHB, Oct 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7IHB

N7IHB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just climbing upon my soapbox for a couple of minutes. I have a pet peeve about hams that participate in WAS nets (or others) and then, either negligently or purposefully, don't confirm QSOs on QRZ, LOTW, eQSL, etc. We use these nets to help achieve a personal quest for contacting others and some make it so much harder when they don't follow through and confirm. If you're not going to complete ALL of the steps for a WAS award (or other awards). please do not participate in the nets.

Thanks for your time folks and 73 to all.

Joe - N7IHB

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate your soapbox stance concerning following through on QSLs, however, since the FCC dropped all logging requirements I think you are fighting a losing battle. I blame the FCC for the lack of interest in QSLs.

I'll bet if they reversed the maintenance of logging requirements you might see a resurgence in QSLs. I could be wrong. I believe the FCC maintained this was done at the request of hams. I'll probably get a lot of feedback for suggesting the return to mandatory logging!

At the moment QSLs are a quaint reminder of a different time.

N7IHB likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

That might be part of the problem right there. If someone confirms on eQSL, but you're seeking a ARRL WAS award, then it's not going to work. You almost need to make clear what QSL service you're using or want a QSL on.

N7IHB likes this.
  4. N7IHB

Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback, I just don't know why anyone would get on a net that is specifically for WAS and then NOT confirm, defeats the whole idea.

5. N7IHB

Stephen - KV6O, supposedly you can export an ADIF and upload it to SOME of the other loggers. Just a frustration on my part.

6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WAS nets... Way back "in the day" I too, hung out on a WAS net or two. Must be me, but I got the DX bug and never went back to the nets. World all states came soon enough simply by just getting on the air and working folks.

I got WAS and DXCC a few times over, but never sent out for any awards. This was simply because it was too much hassle to do it. Now, with all the automated award websites it should be very simple to get any kind of award that you want.

With or without a net.

But, I get it. Back when I hung out on the "GERATOL net" it became a kind of home space. Especially when you have been there for a while and get to know the regulars. Give you a sense of community. Also spent some time on the 3905 Century Club and the HHH nets when I operated mobile in the early '90s.

Those folks would get all excited when I was in or near a state capital. Only two on my route then, Salem OR and Olympia WA. Handed out a few contacts there on forty meters. Confession time: Never logged any of them, or at best logged on a piece of paper that I would then promptly lose!

Anyone who took,the time to send a card got one back... Probably should keep that to myself, but that was a long time ago!

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Some new hams find it easier to check into a net than join an existing qso when they are getting their feet wet. I don't think I like the idea of encouraging people not to participate. People have also been known to make mistakes, notes get lost but life goes on.

K3XR and N7IHB like this.
  8. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

honestly I didnt have much trouble getting WAS last year. Never went on nets, used dxsummit to search for callsign areas then clicked on individual callsigns to open on here to double check their state. Logged on here and exported to lotw.

DXCC was a different animal. Some rare locations I had to work them multiple times or find and work several in that area. Gave up on dxpeditions - about a 50% qsl rate. Some DX had their webpages full of do's and don't rules. I didnt waste my time with these types, my XYL asked why they were even hams (ha ha). There were some DX that beat me to log and qsl (must have had fast fingers)

73's and good luck, Bob VE3CGA

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

back in the days of the COUNTY HUNTER NET, they had a system called MOBILE REPLY CARDS. It was essentially a QSL sent from the station who worked the entity and it had all the needed log info on it to confirm it. All the receipient had to do was sign off the card and send it back in the SASE. It was then approved!.
    But I like getting paper cards from all the new DXCC Countries I work. I Have a binder with all my QSLs in it and soon to be added to it will be the E44WE card from Palestine, when it comes in. Hope I get it in time for Visalia 2019 where I get my cards checked.
    I am a DXCC Field Checker, but we need our cards checked too! I Have checked DXCC, WAS, VUCC and recently a WAZ for the microwave bands!
    Paper cards are still very important to many of us, but we have just about seen the work slow down to a dribble with the advent of LOTW. I just like doing it the OLD FASHIONED WAY!!!

WN1MB likes this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda like, wait for it,..................................................... FT-8[​IMG]