Needing to be hands free with TM-71va

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by W1GO, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W1GO

W1GO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hands free laws getting tough on hams these days in New York. Anyone recommend a good commercially available hands free solution for the TM-V71A?

Thanks. Breaking the lawwwwww, breaking the lawwww ...

K3JMB

2. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am compelled to comment on this issue for reasons which will become apparent.

RPF Communications in England, came up with a Bluetooth-enabled device which connected to just about any amateur transceiver, no matter the mode. At about the same time, Yaesu introduced a couple of models with built-in Bluetooth, but I believe both of those are dead in the water at this point. Earlier, Icom had an IR-based remote microphone setup, but it was way too expensive for average Joe Hamm. (The founder/owner of RPF developed cancer, and the company is now defunct)

All of these units suffered problems. The IR unit couldn't be used mobile, unless it was dead-dark outside. You had to use VOX, which is a mode you don't want to use mobile (Disagree?, then think about it for about a minute). The Bluetooth units suffered a similar fate, in that the transition (delay) time between receive to transmit, or transmit to receive was, well, terminal! And it doesn't matter which software version of Bluetooth we're talking about. Thus, this fact almost requires the use of VOX. And what FM-only transceiver has VOX? (The answer is one)

I believe (at least) the big three have the resources to develop a simple, cost effective method of wireless communications between a microphone and/or headset which circumvents the issues associated with Bluetooth and IR systems. Let's all hope a bit of pressure from us vehicle-bound operators will goad them into action.

4. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bluetooth compatibility would be great, as long as a PTT switch could be integrated to the system... maybe a floor mounted switch to the left of the brake pedal? Many vehicles produced over the past 7-8 years have Bluetooth built into their audio/navigation systems, or one could be added.

Because the market for this is relatively small, the cost (and price) for such a setup will most likely not be cheap. :(

5. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

www.heasetusa.com

has LOTS AND LOTS of blue tooth adaptors for 2 way radios. I have been playing with their Bluetooth stuff for the baofengs and kenwoods for a while now, as well as some of their headsets. I am a reseller for them, but that doesn't get me a lot, I can say for sure that their Bluetooth extreme noise head set works pretty good with radios with either their blue tooth, or "k" cords. I regularly hook the blue tooth to my phone (droid 4) and hard wire to the 2 way, that works best for my application

their stuff is a little "raw", but once I have solved whatever peculiarity, it has been stable and robust

6. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

7. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend of mine has two different FTM-350AR installations, one in his car and another on a motorcycle. Both are Bluetooth equipped and he uses hands free headsets for both. The audio quality on them is excellent, but the motorcycle installation is superb. Everyone that hears it for the first time is amazed he's on a bike. There is no wind noise at all and he is fully understandable. He has a full windshield and wears a full-face helmet a good percentage of the time, but it even works well with his shorty helmet. He actually sounds better than most police motorcycle officers I've heard.

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

QST just had a construction article on a bluetooth headset adapter, but they wanted U to use VOX to PTT the Radio! NO!!! I am NOT using VOX!!!

What happens when I say "@#@#@%&^%&%&@#(@*(&@#(@" to the car ahead of me which just cut me off?
    IT GOES OUT OVER THE AIR!!!

10. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The article is not the first one in QST or into print. CQ had an article about Bluetooth 3 or 4 years ago. That one used a Jabro 210. I tried that one too. Fukko Vos, PA3VOS, redesigned one that allowed PTT on the headset. It corrected some of the delay, but delay is the real bugaboo with Bluetooth. As I said before, the delay issue should be corrected in Bluetooth version 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.