Needed or Improved Web Application for Amateur Radio Operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KD2GTM, Jun 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2GTM

KD2GTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello!
    I'm going to be working on my Capstone project for my degree in Geographic Information Systems this upcoming semester and really want to make a web application (relating to Geographic Information Systems/location technology) that would benefit the amateur radio community.

I'm looking for some ideas on software that the community thinks is lacking or could be improved.

One option I'm considering is an improved "space weather" website tailored towards amateur radio operators. I've also toyed with the idea of building off of aprs.fi and creating something centered around tracking call signs or some related functionality.

I'd love any feedback or suggestions. Basically if there's anything you've always thought would be really useful, I'd love to know! Maybe it can be made! :)

KF5VGK likes this.
  2. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Given the state of the current solar cycle, long-distance communication on the 10m and 6m bands over the next few years will mostly be the result of sporadic E propagation. Using data streams from the DX spotting and reverse beacon networks, compute the likely boundaries of sporadic E clouds in real time, display these clouds on Google Earth, and provide a means by which operators can visualize geographic regions with which they can likely communicate.

Extra credit: identify opportunities for multi-hop sporadic E contacts.

KD2GTM and WD4IGX like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

At this time, the only HF propagation software (available to radio amateurs) that takes into account the Earth's magnetic field is Proplab Pro3. It is a wonderful program that produces separate ray traces for the X and O mode rays....the only program that does so. However, the program is a few years old now, and can use a bit of a facelift. I believe the standard ionosphere database that it runs off of is on its last legs and needs to be updated.

It would be WONDERFUL to have a web based version of Proplab Pro3....or close equivalent.

If you get a chance, check out my December 2010 QST article, "Gimme an X; gimme an O, What's that spell? Radio" for some insight into just how important good X and O information is for HF propagation.

Eric

KD2GTM likes this.
  4. AA6YQ

Here's a timely example of what is likely multi-hop 6m Es between Europe and the US Southwest plotted on Google Earth; the source of the data is the DX spotting network:

upload_2017-6-2_13-34-25.png

Determining and plotting the location of the responsible Es clouds might alert ops to single-hop openings that exploit those Es clouds.

5. KL7AJ

I didn't realize there was such a cloud over central Europe! (Doesn't look too sporadic to me!)

6. AA6YQ

Here's the plot of 6m activity in Europe in more detail. With the solar flux at 76, this can't be F2 propagation, and many of the distances are too great for line-of-sight; that leaves Es:

upload_2017-6-2_14-12-41.png

7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aprs.fi might be an interesting (albeit perhaps incomplete) source of propagation data for 2m, but I think you might have better luck seeing if something could be done using Reverse Beacon Network data.

I believe the RBN folks maintain archived logs of traffic through their system. Depending on how adventurous you felt, you might be able to correlate that data with historic solar metrics and build something better than the solar conditions graphics we see everywhere.

8. KL7AJ

I'd definitely concur it's E-layer....just not SPORADIC. :)

9. KL7AJ

June 1967 QST has a rather comprehensive article on 2 meter E propagation....sporadic and non-sporadic.

10. KD2GTM

KD2GTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for all of these suggestions! I'm going to look into each of them and will keep you updated :)

KF5VGK likes this.