Need your satellite antenna suggestions/secrets

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W9YW, Oct 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9YW

W9YW Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Close to a duplexer or perhaps a diplexer..... bandpass or low frequency shunt.

It would be better to just buy a cheap acre in the country where there were no trees, flat ground, and room for a solar panel. Alas, the housing density in my neighborhood is full of geeks with computer equipment, bluetooth, wifi, ring cameras, cars with proximity locking, and lots of gadgetry.

Yesterday, a chicken hawk perched on my EFHW wire, moving its counterweight three feet.

I want to sweep the filter and be able to tune it, and found a good reference for cheap filtration (3 or 5 pole): https://amoghdesai.com/technology/electronics/band-pass-filter-hf-vhf-amateur-radio-band/ that looks like a good start.

73 Tom W9YW

2. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

Tom:

A filter similar to this one on youtube:

Mile Kokotov shows a 2 section helical filter in this clip. Other clips are also viewable by other contributors.

However, in my case, I built a 3 section version....3 compartments in a die cast box ....coil resonators were separated with hobby shop tin sheet I had on hand.

Complete kluge build on my part but I wanted to see if there was any difference and there was a definite improvement.
    Everything was home brewed, the capacitance disks, coils, tuning screws, etc.

With my VNWA I adjusted the S21 response as necessary for the low end of 2m for RX of the birds.

The following site is a good source and calculator that I used:
    https://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/interdigital_bandpass_filter_designer.php

When I researched this last year, HRO had a 5 or 6 section(?) 2m helical filter for sale by a Canadian ham (?) who sources them to HRO.

I also took a look at classic cavity resonators for 2m but the helical filter was easy to build with the stuff I had on hand at the time as well as the available schedule I had.

Bill

20+ WPM 1970's EXTRA

3. W9YW

Nice. I found a project box in my stash of junk that will serve the purpose.

This week I'm setting my base pipe into concrete, so as to mount my rotator. Then the solar panel goes up, feeding my B+. I'm researching voltage clamp systems for a +12 and +24vdc feed.

There's a perfectly blue sky outside, so I'm doing other chores....

73 Tom W9YW

K8XG and SWL37632 like this.
  4. W9YW

:) I'm a solder jockey....