Need Yaesu FL-2100B Help

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5KWB, Mar 28, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5KWB

W5KWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu fl-2100B Anyone know a reputable repair shop who can take this thing in and repair it. Keeps blowing fuse on transmit.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know of any local places you might drive it to, but there are a few regular posters here on QRZ.com that will do such repairs if you ship it to them.

But packing an amp for safe shipment and paying the freight to ship it can get pricey. It might be better to get some on-line help for a home repair, if possible.

To that end, I'll ask the obvious:

• Did it work fine before, and now is suddenly blowing fuses for the first time?
    • Or is it a used amp and you got it that way?
    • Is it all okay in "standby" and only blows a fuse when you transmit?
    • Have you tried driving it with lower power (maybe 20-30W, for the amp to run reduced output)? And if so, does it still blow the fuse when you do that?
    • Are you using the recommended fuse value?

3. W5KWB

• Did it work fine before, and now is suddenly blowing fuses for the first time?
    • Yes
    • Or is it a used amp and you got it that way?
    • No
    • Is it all okay in "standby" and only blows a fuse when you transmit?
    • Yes
    • Have you tried driving it with lower power (maybe 20-30W, for the amp to run reduced output)? And if so, does it still blow the fuse when you do that?
    • The fuse was too small it had a 250v 2 amp. the book calls for 15 AMP. I replaced it and problem solved. It still only puts out about 600 W SSB. I need to find tubes for both my radio and the amp. Any leads would be helpful
    • Are you using the recommended fuse value?
    • I was not

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

An FL-2100B is a 600W output amplifier, so your tubes are likely okay.

When driven "hard" to a bit more grid current than it should really have, it will put out 700W, but that's the max it can do, same as the Heath SB-200 which uses a similar circuit and identical tubes.

5. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You probably don’t need tubes in your amp, but checkout RF Parts.

I use their Taylor tubes in my SB-200 and they work great.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously, a 2.0 Ampere fuse is not appropriate, and woefully inadequate!:eek: When replaced with the proper fuse (@ 15 Amperes,) you say the problem was corrected. I would accept 600 Watts out from the amp, and it does NOT need repair. The difference between 600 Watts and an amp pushed to a maximum of 700 Watts will not be noticed "at the other end" of a QSO.

7. W5KWB

Thanks for all the comments. think i will take your advise. If it aint broke dont fix it !!!

8. 9M2XDX

9M2XDX Ham Member QRZ Page

What a dumbo!