Need suggestions on antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KM4IMF, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM4IMF

KM4IMF Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope to be hooking up a radio in my truck in the near future and I would like some suggestions on a good antenna. The radio will either be an Icom 706 MKIIg or a Yaesu 857d. I intend on up grading to general and will be using both HF and VHF. What are yall's suggestions?

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a lot of opinions on this subject, for HF mobile you might want to take a look at the Little Tarheel II (http://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii) it is an expensive screwdriver that is pretty easy to install, I have had good luck when I did mobile HF.

What I will make sure is that mobile HF does involve making sure your vehicle is well bonded. You should check out k0bg.com, he has a lot of great information about mobile HF operations. There are a lot of options out there, good luck!

3. KM4IMF

KM4IMF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info

4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of truck do you have? This will help figuring out your options.

John WD5IKX

5. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

When you decide to go mobile your budget and your vehicle may determine what you install for an antenna - If money is no object there are many choices. One of the best options is a HI-Q antenna. It does require a substantial mounting location. If your funds are limited there are cheaper antennas the obvious being less money may also be less antenna. You'll get better advice if you elaborate on your plans a little more.

6. KD5ZEN

KD5ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the same boat, trying to determine this. I can't use mag mount because truck is aluminum. I may not be able to use NMO because the sunroof parts to the rear. I enter a low-clearance garages very frequently, so it can't be too high. The one at work is only 6' 6" giving me three inches of space above roof - my FM radio antenna hits every day. I think you just take what you can get.

A fender lip would work, but couldn't be too high. That would give me VHF/UHF.

For HF, I don't think I would be doing that while driving around town, but it might be nice when out camping. I've thought of a mast that has a bottom plate I could drive my truck onto for stability and run a dipole from it.

7. KB8LQY

KB8LQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally have a Scorpion Antenna 80-10m. I've owned it since 2009. The only issue I had was when I ran it with an 857. For some reason, I could not get that radio to tune properly. I also had problem with the 857 and the AT 120 antenna designed for that radio. Changed radio to IC-7000 and no issues what so ever. I get great signal reports and it can run 1500W power if you want. I run with only 100W. The owner stands behind his product 100% and will gladly help you with anything. You can take it off the truck, put it on a tripod and use it with ground wires or hot sticks if you choose, too.

8. KD5ZEN

KD5ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like a nice setup and config, particularly with the fold-over mount or the quick release. I have much more to consider at the moment, but will definitely keep that in mind for future. Thanks!

9. KD8YVC

KD8YVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use to run Tarheel antennas ,but I switched to the Scorpion 680 on my truck running the Icom 7000 and I make contacts all over the world on 100 watts with a lifetime warranty antenna. It does cost more ,but in my opinion if you properly bond everything you will love it. Look at my qrz page on the dually truck.

10. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Ft-857 with an FC-40 mounted under the bed rail. With a 9 foot whip it will tune 40-6 meters. With a 16 foot whip it will work on 80-10 meters. When stopped stopped I can clip 30 feet of 16 gauge wire to the end of the whip and work 160. 50 feet gets better signal reports, however.