ad: elecraft

Need some help with new radio

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KG7FLL, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There's no need to check them often. If the radio is completely dead, then I'd check the fuses, else not.

Actually, a small power supply and a car battery are a very good option. That's what I use. When the power goes off, everything stays on. And, I have hundreds of amperes available should I ever need it... I have I think 8 radios connected to the battery, and I often transmit with a 160W amp and a very power hungry radio, all with a 15A power supply.

Just make sure if you do this that you use a SLA or "gel cell" battery. Using a standard "flooded" car battery indoors is very dangerous. Using one outdoors for an indoor radio is very inconvenient.

2. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

If everything else is OK then your power supply has enough current to power the radio on the Low3 setting which is 30 watts. If it is working OK at this setting and not the High power (75 watt) setting then I feel safe with my advice about your power supply.

I assume that you are trying to talk through a repeater and I am wondering how far away it is and have you made any contacts on the radio otherwise?

Thanks and welcome to the hobby.
    Greg W8NGA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.