There's no need to check them often. If the radio is completely dead, then I'd check the fuses, else not. Actually, a small power supply and a car battery are a very good option. That's what I use. When the power goes off, everything stays on. And, I have hundreds of amperes available should I ever need it... I have I think 8 radios connected to the battery, and I often transmit with a 160W amp and a very power hungry radio, all with a 15A power supply. Just make sure if you do this that you use a SLA or "gel cell" battery. Using a standard "flooded" car battery indoors is very dangerous. Using one outdoors for an indoor radio is very inconvenient.