Need recommendations for a good mp3 player with larger storage capacity

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC8IOC, Oct 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8IOC

KC8IOC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a better mp3 player. I thought this would be best posted here since it is computer related (and I can't post in "just talking"). Currently I am using a Sandisk sport clip mp3 player I bought at Best Buy that only has 16 GB and that space will fill up soon. Currently I have been researching mp3 players on Amazon.com that have 128 GB capacity through an additional SD card.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Victure-Blue...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I want to explain that I am looking for an mp3 player that has no Internet access, so as a result I will not be considering iPods. I am also not looking for a smartphone.

First I want to say that one of the most important things I am looking for in an mp3 player is an option to play only "new" music if you want to. That kind of option used to exist on a Sansa clip mp3 player I had used years ago, but the more recent Sandisk mp3 player does not have that option. If I am going to have 128 GB of storage space, the music collection I have gathered over the years can become so large that if I play the music on shuffle, the more music that is added, the less the newest music will play and I will feel overrun by the older music. I usually don't delete the music unless I get really annoyed by it, and still can enjoy older music that I have.

If I am getting an mp3 player with SD card storage, I would possibly want to switch between the SD memory and the internal memory. My flip phone puts all music on SD card alongside all music on internal memory and plays it all together. If I am not able to find an mp3 player that specifically has the option to play only newly added music, than if the SD card can be separate from the internal memory, than maybe all my newer music can be saved onto the internal memory before it is "archived" onto the SD card for longer term listening.

I also want bluetooth, FM radio, a section for audio books, and the ability to play playlists. Some extra ideas: The ability to play the songs in an album in order if you select that album even if you are already in shuffle mode. The ability to choose what range of newer music to play (like 6 months, a year, or two years). The ability to mark certain songs that you still want to have, but that you do not want to play through the shuffle mode or normal play. The ability to mark certain songs that would play a larger proportion of times when on shuffle, if they are favorite songs. These extra ideas may be overkill in what I can expect in an mp3 player, but they are ideas I have thought of.

Would any of you have any recommendations about which mp3 player would be a good one to get with 128 GB storage space?

2. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ipod does not require internet access at all. You can designate all of the older stuff into one play list and the newer into another. Doesn't have the ageing capability that I know of. The other downside is that you can't easily transfer music to another device. The official Apple reason is that a device whose only purpose is to store and then transfer files on demand was not made to store and then transfer files. You really need to be an Apple fanboy to buy that one. The main benefit is that they are usually pretty well made. I had two that are over 10 years old that still work just fine except for the limited battery life.

4. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just use a Old Android phone ?

It wound not need to be activated or on the internet, But you could hook it to your WiFi network, To share and copy MP3 files.

You could even play the MP3 files over your network.

The Android OS will let you customize what you want it to do.

I have a old Android that I use to play music, View my home security video system, Control lights and outlets, Talk on Echolink and more.

A $20 phone and a SD card is all that would be needed. You could even make emergency phone calls also.

Good Luck.

6. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did that. When I inherited my wife's Samsung S6 phone this year with her switch to an iPhone, I repurposed my old S3 for audio. One that old would only give you 16GB (some came with 32GB) plus 64GB with a microSD card.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  7. KA9JLM

I think Samsung is the best, Easy to Root, Most have a replaceable battery and real headphone jack. They have good cameras also.

64 GB will hold a lot of MP3 files.

Are we spoiled yet ?

8. VE3ZYR

Ha, a big touch screen with only a couple real buttons and no knobs. Junk.

9. KA9JLM

You have a MP3 player with knobs ?

That must be a in dash stereo.

10. VE3ZYR

No way, I have a radio. ;)

0067.jpg