ad: Schulman-1

Need power supply suggestion for ICOM 7610

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W1SS, Jul 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1SS

W1SS Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM no longer sells the PS-126, so I was hoping that someone could give me a suggestion for a power supply for the ICOM 7610.

Here's the specification in the manual ....
    When using a non-Icom DC power supply, you need:
    • 13.8 V DC (Capacity: At least 23 A)
    • A power supply with an over current protective line and low voltage fluctuation or ripple.

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use one of these

http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=171

to charge an AGM battery and power a strip.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/wmt-58312-1038

This works very well.

NC2G likes this.
  3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need an Icom power supply to power your radio.
    An Astron RS 35 will work. You can even use an Astron switching power supply.
    Call Ham Radio Outlet for other suggestions. Just don't get a cheap power supply off of Ebay.
    Barry

N8SOB, K0OKS, KD2ACO and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also vote for the ASTRON RS-35. Just remember it is rated 35 Amperes PEAK, but only 25 Amperes continuous. If you have other radios, or a lot of accessories, you may want to upgrade to a higher capacity Astron. Linear supplies ARE heavy, but mostly rock solid, and repair is possible IF ever needed. My RS-35A has been in service with nary a hiccup, and no time off, save for power outrages, and the infrequent vacation of a week or more, since 1990. There is no need to buy an Icom supply; you are paying more for the name than for the "innards."

KU3X, N8SOB and WA8FOZ like this.
  5. W1SS

W1SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I ended up going overkill and purchased the Astron RS-50M
    Linear, Regulated, Dual Meter(backlit), 50 A at 13.8 Vdc Peak Output, 120 Vac Input.

Hopefully that will meet any other needs as I add equipment to the shack.

Moving on to the next step... I am eyeballing the RIGRunner 8012 from WestMountain Radio. Is this a wise choice?

KB0MNM and K6RUV like this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Astron will serve you well for a long time.

The RIGRunner is a fine power distribution system. The only complaint I have about it is the price. You may be able to home brew something equally effective for less cost. Consider that you may only need one or two high-current transmitter circuits, which can be directly wired to the Astron's terminals with heavy gauge wire. One more, smaller, fused circuit might provide power to several lower powered accessories.

But the RIGRunner should do the job very well.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good choice on the power supply. You will have extra capacity for expansion, and the 50 Ampere supply will simply loaf with your current requirements.

KM4WFW likes this.
  8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Run the IC 7610's power cord directly to the lugs on the back of the power supply. For other accessories in the shack, a Rig Runner will do just fine.
    I run my TS 480 SAT and my TM D700A directly to my Astron RS 35 and I use the MFJ-1126 to power everything else in the station.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1126

By the way, I've been using my RS 35 for almost 35 years and it's still going.

Barry, KU3X

9. KY3W

KY3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a RS-50M just a few years ago. I noticed it got quite hot even with no load. Called Astron and they informed me they received a bad batch of transformers from Federal. They sent me a new one that was very poorly packaged. After I got the bent brackets straightened out I mounted it and soldered the wires to the windings. A 140W Weller Gun barely made enough heat for the job. Power supply works great now.

You can't go wrong with an Astron though. Lots of folks love their switchers but I wonder what they would say if they actually saw the waveform from them.

N8VIL likes this.
  10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You need a 13.7v supply with at least 23 amps , over current protection and low voltage fluctuaton or ripple.

Rege