Need input, have I been ripped off?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K7FWH, Oct 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB8LBZ

WB8LBZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jay,
    I would be happy to forward my exchanges I had with some one at W9IUF@yahoo.com. Your QRZ page has no email address so it's hard to confirm a direct email. I am at wb8lbz@yahoo.com if you would like to have me forward what I have.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso

2. W9IUF

W9IUF Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love to help if I can, but I don't know what I could do. I don't have access to that email address. I used to have an email address on my profile but something on QRZ must have changed and it's gone. I can add it back now, but now I'm concerned that if someone is impersonating me, anything I do is suspicious.

I changed my QRZ profile to tell people that I don't have the yahoo email and don't accept Paypal. I hope that will help some.

If there is something else I can do, I'd be happy to help.

Jay

3. KC7I

KC7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The additions to your profile are a great idea.
    Please do add your email back in. It helps a lot for people to know what it really is.
    Also, be sure to change your password. Someone may have logged in and removed your email addy.

4. KD9MAR

KD9MAR Ham Member QRZ Page

W7BJN has contacted me regarding the sale of my LP 100A. He wants to pay via Paypal friends and family, to which I replied no way, and informed him previously of the preferred payment method. USPS money order only. After that, it went from "I'm definitely interested" to "I'll let you know". Not sure if it's the real callsign holder or not. I did speak with him on the phone, but I'm still in doubt because my previous e mails and concerns were sidestepped. Also, I logged in a couple days ago after a brief hiatus, and the e mail I submitted to display on my page a month or so prior, was gone, and no e mail address was displayed. Very suspicious to say the least. If anyone sees an ad displayed with my callsign, and it is not my call at charter.net for the e mail address, IT IS NOT MY AD.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytime someone wants buy via PayPal Family & Friends or Western Union, I would run away.

K1XS, AG6QR and N6QIC like this.
  6. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The "extra charge" you were avoiding was the PayPal fee for brokering the financial transaction. You thought that PayPal should just be a free service so you could save a little money? I am sorry you got ripped off. I realize you might consider my post a bit harsh right after being taken, but you have to accept that you share much of the blame. That is what happens when you try to rig the system when dealing with a crook.

The sad part is that you might be the only one reading this right now who has learned a lesson. There will be too many Friends and Family scam reports in the future by hams that tried to save a few bucks on the deal and didn't know. That is what the crooks count on. If it is not a Friend and not a family member, you have no business choosing Friends and Family.

K4AGO, WB4IVF and N6QIC like this.
  7. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously folks - if the person you are sending money to is NOT a friend or a family member, don't use that option.

K4AGO, AG6QR, N8VIL and 5 others like this.
  8. W7BJN

W7BJN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Due to your rude behavior, I have purchased a new LP-100A. I am NOT a scammer nor did I change anything on your page. I have been in Amateur Radio for over 40 years and have had the pleasure of meeting many fine, upstanding individuals. If I had met many people like you early on, I would probably not have continued in the hobby.... Brian/W7BJN

9. NF4J

NF4J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went through this recently with a different call than that of the one that got you...HOWEVER, I called my bank! The person that got me used a certain name with a certain email address, and because his name was registered differently with PayPal, using the same email address, my Bank deemed it to be Identity Theft and I got my money back...even after using the Friends and Family method like you did. So, Call Your Bank and file a dispute...the Guy is clearly using someone else's name! Good Luck...

Danny - NF4J

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Right!

For some reason, people seem to be confused about what "friends and family" means, thinking it means "any random stranger I've never met who offers me a good deal". Maybe Paypal should make it more clear, by changing the name to "people you would trust with your house key to watch your home while you're on vacation".

K3RLD, WB4IVF and KD2NOM like this.