Need input, have I been ripped off?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K7FWH, Oct 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7FWH

K7FWH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First thing Monday morning I bought and paid for a radio on here using PayPal friends and family to avoid the extra charge, I wasn't aware that they won't dispute a claim when using that.

Anyway on Tuesday afternoon I emailed him asking when he was shipping it and for a tracking number, I was told his wife was sick and it would be shipped on Wednesday. Wednesday I received an email that his wife was now in the hospital and he wouldn't be able to ship Wednesday. Ok I get that things happen and family comes first but the emails are so veg that it makes me wonder. Last night I sent him an email letting him know that I'm feeling a little nervous about the way this is going down and ask him to please ship it this morning and send me tracking info, his reply was 1 line and said "I promise to ship Monday" now I'm really nervous.

I also try to look up the listing and it's completely gone, not just marked sold but completely gone.

I'm really not sure what to do at this time, I've never had a problem with anyone on here before but this is strange.

I'm not using his name or call for a reason, maybe I'm just thinking the worst.

Anyone have any input, ideas?

Thanks in advance. K7FWH

2. WB8LBZ

WB8LBZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Robert,
    Most likely you have been ripped off. I got ripped off too. PayPal friends and family gives the buyer no protection. If you dealt with W9IUF you did get ripped off. Typical practice is for them to delay-delay-delay and never let you know you have been screwed.

I hope your day gets better,

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

N6QIC likes this.
  3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who is the seller? What names, addresses is he using?

KA2FIR and KF5DIY like this.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask for a refund using the same method you used to pay for the product. Tell him you will send the money another way, once it gets back to you.

If he is honest, he will return the money, and you can devise a better way to pay for it. If he is a scammer, he will not return the money, or offer more excuses, or not reply at all. This has all the earmarks of a scam.

5. K7FWH

That's what I was afraid of, the seller was W7BJN, Brian Neilson from Washington.

[The seller was someone pretending to be W7BJN] - KN7S

6. K7FWH

I just got off the phone with the real w7bjn, apparently this has happened to 3 or 4 people using his call and the email address used is w7bjn123@gmail.com and the PayPal address is brianjn123@gmail.com...

I'm not sure who on QRZ.com to report this to but there sure seems to be a huge problem.

N6QIC likes this.
  7. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Brian is aware of this problem and it is being addressed as we speak. The e-mails are NOT coming from the real W7JBN.

8. K7FWH

That's what he told me which brings me to a question, if Brian is aware of it and QRZ.com is aware of it why is there not a red flag for every post containing W7JBN until this scumbag is caught, this isn't the first time this has happened to someone and won't be the last unless some kind of flag pops up when the call or email is used...

I've been off the air for awhile and when I decide to get back on I get screwed over on my first purchase to get back into the hobby, now I trust nobody and am not even sure I want to buy a radio from anyone on here now, I know there are way more good people then bad but If some people knew this was happening with his call and email and nothing has been done to flag it then where does it stop.

I'm in the market for a good radio and don't even know who to trust to get one other than buying new which I can't afford to do, especially now.

K3RW likes this.
  9. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Your best bet is to buy used from a dealer. Often they have deals just as good as what you'll find when buying from individuals, with a short warranty/exchange period.

N6QIC, W4IOA and KG5KOG like this.
  10. W9IUF

W9IUF Ham Member QRZ Page

Larry, I don't see your callsign in my email so I don't believe I have ever sold or bought anything from you unless you used a different callsign.

Jay