Need Info on Yaesu FTdx-401 Series Radios

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF9J, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF9J

AF9J Ham Member QRZ Page

First update in some time - I rewired the FTdx-401's regulator in mid January, fired it up, to check transmit, and promptly blew a fuse! I got new fuses, and finally got around to trying the radio tonight. This time, I decided to do initial checks, and adjustments, per the manual, before I tried to load the '401 up to full power. That's when the fun began:

1. The S-meter adjustment was a pain, but I got the S-meter pretty much zeroed out.

2. Adjusting the ALC meter movement was a hassle. Not only was the ALC meter off, but the adjustment was so sensitive, I kept on overshooting the zero point - I got it close to zero.

3. The Bias has me a little worried - when I checked the bias, I noticed it was a little low. The manual calls for 50 mA of plate current, in USB mode, with the mic gain at zero. First I vershot by a bit. I backed the adjustment pot off, and started readjusting for 50 mA. Plate current kept on going up, even when I backed things off again, and the fuse blew, and I smelled ye olde burt smell.

I put a new fuse in the FTdx-401, and powered it up again. It's in receive mode at the present time, and seems to be receiving OK, but with my luck, I burned something out on the transmit side of things. I think I'm going to stop working on it for the night.

Ellen - AF9J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.