ad: w5yi

Need info/help on a rare one...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB1EAD, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB1EAD

WB1EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all..posting this as my two previous posts turned out quite well..this is my year of finally rounding up confirmations of DX worked..ran into for me a puzzling one..S0..western sahara..I have 3 different contacts recorded but cannot find any info as to whether they were actually legit..no QSL mgr or much of nothing..
    now I'm not a lazy guy and if I knew where to look I most certainly wud..some of you folks seem to be a heck of a lot more in the know than myself..so here they are followed by the year active
    S07CRS 1998
    S09A 1999 BTW thats sierra zero......
    S07U
    Have two more oddballs of other entitys but I'll hold off until someone finds sumptin on these obviously a QSL mgr wud be excellent or a link THANKS ever so much 73 de DAVE WB1EAD

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Found this info from 2002

WESTERN SAHARA, S0. Six members of the International Amateur Radio
    Volunteers are staying in Western Sahara from February 11 to 17.
    They will be QRV as S07CRS and S07U. In addition to using mainly CW
    they also intend to operate using RTTY. QSL both calls via JA1UT.

3. WB1EAD

Hey tnx Bill..however there is no contact info such as an e-mail address with JA1UT..I suppose I cud write a letter but seems like a long process with questionable results..you'd think that a QSL mgr wud be mentioned with easy enough access..OK but please accept my thanks for giving me that info because I had no info at all..I'll keep checking here..someone out there actually worked them as I did so the QSL route is out there too..it cud be that after all these years gone by that they decided it's over including QSLs..take care Bill and tnx agn for that info! 73 de DAVE WB1EAD
    PS: (edited) Bill found more info but they all say QSL with JA1UT..but is he actually the one?..how does anyone contact someone without sending an e-mail to verify if he's still doing the QSLs for these dxpeditions?..looks more like western sahara will be a no go..this posting really is a yell for help!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

S01WS is VERY active these days.

5. WB1EAD

Well tnx Bill..I see ur on Vieques..so was I in 1970..Marine base there for short stay..rebuilding quonset huts..beautiful island!..Bill that Western Sahara op to my knowledge occured in 2015..maybe they're back??..another clue on JA1UT wud be his dxpedition members..maybe if I cud find another JA who was part of those dxpeditions it might help to e-mail them for further info into getting the QSLs from JA1UT..I've gotten confirmation/QSLs from over 40yrs back..not easy at all but this one is a puzzler...73 de DAVE WB1EAD

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

20 years ago he used this address.

QSL via JA1UT (Yoshio Hayashi, 4-20-2-401 Nishigotanda, Shinagawa, Tokyo 141-0031, Japan).

7. WB1EAD

I tried to edit my 1st posting but couldn't..?..S07U was in 2000..the address WR2E gave is very similar to what's up there today here on QRZ
    only difference is the -401 is missing..all else looks the same..tnx though! 73 de DAVE WB1EAD

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That made me smile. Those of us who have been doing this a while will remember Box 88 in Moscow as the only route, which took months, to confirm any of the 18 Soviet republics in those days so not having the ability to achieve instant confirmation isn’t a big deal.

I still get qsl cards via the mail from all over the world wanting to confirm 5U7AG contacts from years ago. Just send him a card and be patient.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

S01WS on 40 CW right now. 7.020. Good sig as usual.

10. WB1EAD

Don that made me smile too..ur comment on Box 88.,lotsa folks sent a few there then but not many recall getting one back..my way of thinking is to do just this..if there's a valid e-mail why not inquire and find out if it's a go or not..sure I just might have to send to the address for JA1UT with snail mail
    KP4 SX Bill no antennas for 160 thru 40..if there's a Western Sahara op there great I guess..got a couple dxers checking too for me so hey we'll see what happens tnx all! 73 de DAVE WB1EAD