Need help with VX-7R

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG6GIY, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KG6GIY

KG6GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Yaesu VX-7r that I purchased used several years ago. It had been working well up until last week. It transmits well on all bands but is not receiving well. I tested on 2m, 70cm, and 6m. I used three different antennas and get the same basic results now matter which I used within the correct band. I have a friend who also owns the same radio. I have tested my radio up to 5 miles on all available power settings and was getting S9 reports on my friends VX-7R. However, I was unable to receive farther than about 1/4 mile. He could hear me but I could not hear him. I also have a Kenwood Th-G71A with which I performed the same tests and was able to receive at 5+ miles on 2m while not receiving on my VX-7R at the same time.

I performed a factory reset returning the radio to the factory defaults. I then checked every menu and sub menu with my friends radio and made everything match (his radio still holds the factory defaults). I am not trying anything compliated, just simplex on mostly 2m. I have tried the other bands to confirm the reception is the same. It doesn't matter whether the transmitting station is using .5w, 5w, or 30w. The reception is the same. Outside of a 1/4 mile I hear nothing. When we are 50 yards apart and I transmit, his VX-7R shows S9. When he transmits I read S3 on my Yaesu and full scale on my Kenwood no matter what antenna I use including swapping to his antenna.

I contacted Yaesu tech support and received no useful help i.e. Older discontinued radio, no warranty and would probably cost more for them to look at it than it is worth.

I feel like I am missing something but I can't figure out what it is especially since I have been able compare it side by side to the same model of radio that is working properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean KG6GIY

2. M0TGK

M0TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KG6GIY

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had friends that have had the antenna connection come apart in side the case and had to repair .

5. KG6GIY

I have found a post that talked about a a failed 450kHz ceramic filter that has a history of failing on the VX-7R and VX-6R. The part plus shipping is less than $10 from Yaesu. It invovles removing the filter from a circuit board. I have low skills with this type of thing and do not have the tools. I will see if I can find someone who can do this job. I will check the antenna connection while it is apart but I think it must be the filter since I can still transmit without issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.