Need Help with Kenwood TM-V7

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by w8nic, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. w8nic

w8nic Guest

hi everyone,

i'm trying to program crossband repeat on this radio and don't know how decode/encode works. i can crossband now but have to wait for the repeater to drop before i can key up.

can anyone please help me?

thanks in advance.:)

2. KI4OXD

KI4OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the "irks"

That's one of the "irks" of cross-band repeating. You're transmitting UHF from a handheld to UHF receive on the V7 then VHF from the V7 to the repeater. The process is reversed when you unkey and someone else keys up. The repeater VHF to VHF receive on the V7 which transmits the signal out on UHF. You can not transmit UHF into the cross-band repeater while it is transmitting on UHF and must wait for the repeater to drop. If someone else keys up before the squelch tail drops you will not be able to transmit.

If you have a dual-band handheld and can hear the VHF repeater output on your handheld, then you should look into locked-band mode. It should be on page 81 of the manual along with the cross-band instructions.

Earl

3. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

When the repeater is in TX your radio is retrasmitting its signal and that's why you won't be able to transmit until the repeater drops its carrier. The trick about crossbanding is to get used to of a few seconds delay between transmissions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.