Need help w/ choosing a first HF radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI4ZSZ, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NJ3A

NJ3A Ham Member QRZ Page

First HF Rig

Well...you're sure to get opinions from everyone...Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu...you get the idea.

Personally, if I were looking for my first rig around your budget...I would not hesitate to buy an Icom IC-756 Pro III.

This rig has everything you'll need to get up and running. As it turns out, my first rig was a Yaesu FT-920...that I sold and then bought an IC-746 Pro, then IC-706MK2G...another IC-746Pro...sold them then bought and IC-756 ProII...then IC-7000 (also a great choice)...

For your money, it's likely you'll be happy with what ever you buy...until you start thinking about amplifiers, towers, beams...well you see where I'm going.

Depending on the radio you buy...do you have an HF antenna in mind? It could make your radio choice a little easier...or harder...do you have an external tuner...some of the radios have internal tuners...

Do you want to go HF mobile or only as a base? If you want to go mobile...I would suggest looking at the IC-7000.

Bottom line...Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu...all great...ask some local hams... If you ask the local ham store, you're probably going to be sold on the stores main brand, although a good ham store will sell you what you want...they should also advise you if you're making the wrong decision.

Have fun, read the reviews on eHam...

Charlie
    NJ3A

2. CT2JUT

CT2JUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said!

Honestly, i do like old radios, and i think that i´ll never buy a brand new one.

So this thread is easy for me!

Just mind to get a well known brand, and look for the best sensitivity reception radio.

You´ll be saving some real cash for your incoming "super antenna"! :)

73 from Lisbon,

Miguel

3. N1QDQ

N1QDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A few things to keep in mind: Good deals to be had on a Icom 706MKII, which I used as my main rig for years and is extremely capable. I've also owned the Yaesu 817 and 857 HF+ rigs. They are good all-arounders and not too expensive. You could also find something like a clean TT Argo V, which is a dream to operate, especially CW. Going from top of the line contest rigs to NO rig seems a bit extreme. There are a lot of fine HF rigs for well under $1k.

4. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

i have to agree the 735 is a awesome rig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.