Need Help Using WineBottler for EZNEC+ Update

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by N0TZU, May 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I used WineBottler to get EZNEC+ 6.0 to run on my Mac as an app so I don't need to use Fusion to run Windows for it - cool! But I can't figure out how to get the update to the latest version (6.16) to work, and need some help. Note: the update is not a full standalone program, it requires the installed 6.0 program.

The EZNEC updater is itself an installer, so I used WineBottler to make an app which worked and it "installed". But it didn't actually update EZNEC 6.0. Then, running the update app doesn't seem to do anything - it tries to run but then stops with no screen results and no update of the 6.0 version.

I had already updated EZNEC to 6.16 on Windows under Fusion, so I copied the Program Files/EZNEC folder to the Mac, then used WineBottler to make an app using the option "copy file (Program) and all files in the folder to the App Bundle", but that didn't work either.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect that the updater needs to see the original 6.0 version installed in the Windows environment, perhaps also needing to see a valid license key, and I don't think it can do that under Wine.

And copying the updated files and trying to make an app is probably prevented by some license file check, otherwise people could distribute EZNEC current versions without paying.

But what do I know? That's why I need some expert help!