Need help restoring Vibroplex Brass Racer: Hinge pin removal?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W3IG, Dec 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I misunderstood you about that.
    The pins gotta come out somehow. Somehow they were put in so they should come out. How about a drop of penetrating oil left on it for a few days?
    Not much to lose if you break the pin off and try to drill it out on a drill press for accuracy.
    I would also try tapping it kinda hard with a small hammer on the side of the pin for a while to get the penetrating oil to work it's way down in it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. W3IG

W3IG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, those pins are an interference fit. Penetrating oil won't change a thing. I already broke two of them using vice grips and a hammer. They probably froze the pins to shrink them a bit for install. Is what it is.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean they heated them to shrink them a bit. I doubt it. Probably just press fit. In any event, there's no reason not to try anything.
    If they are already broke off, find a machinist to drill them out with precision. Seems you have little choice.

4. W3IG

W3IG Ham Member QRZ Page

Most substances expand when heated and shrink when cooled.

The pins are hardened steel in a brass block. Drilling out just the pins won't work.

K7MH likes this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what I was thinking....Too much cold medicine in me!!:confused:o_O:(:D
    As much as I hate it some projects are almost a lost cause. If you can cut or machine a new piece that would be cool. I watch the keys, bugs and parts for them on Ebay a lot but I have never seen any parts for Hamco Scotia or Brass Racer. It took me a lot of time to find the right size compression pins at a decent cost for the finger pieces. Now I have about a hundred of them but they were very inexpensive. More than I will ever need!