ad: seapac-1

need help programming ICOM IC-2200H with CHIRP

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by XIWUPODU, Mar 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. XIWUPODU

XIWUPODU QRZ Member

Hello ;)
    I recently got my license and bought a used ICOM IC-2200H, I am having no luck hooking the laptop to the transceiver. I don't know where to start, I have successfully programmed a Baofeng from chirp, but I need the more powerful ICOM to reach more repeaters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the programming cable, and tried to buy Icom software, but Icom told me it's discontinued.

2. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with that Icom, but it is on CHIRP's supported radio list.

What's with the programming cable? Is this a serial cable that you are trying to use on a known-good serial port? If the serial port hasn't been verified yet, I would start there.

3. KD0RCB

KD0RCB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with KC3PBI, you must get the PC to first recognize and communicate with whatever cable type - (serial, or USB) your using...both are found under "device manager" in windows. If its USB, you may need to download proper drivers to have the cable work. I had a list of different drivers I kept using for Win 7, 64bit, for my different radios & different cables , when I programmed them. They dont all work the same. Once you establish communication, then the radio should be recognized.

4. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem programming mine with Chirp.

You’re using an ICOM programming cable plugged into the speaker jack, correct.

Other than that, I’ve had comm port problems. You have to try every one on the list, sometimes multiple times. I also have had to try different USB jacks on the computer too. Once you get it working the first time, it’ll go easier the next time.

KO4BCN likes this.
  5. N4CKC

N4CKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Back when I used my ICOM IC-2200H I just programmed it manually. To me it is much easier to do it that way than fiddle with all the cables and computers.

6. KO4BCN

KO4BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

The USB-based "simulated" comm ports can be finicky. You can check your device list in the windows setup page to see if it is actually showing up.