Need help making a purchasing choice

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9BFZ, Sep 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first rig was an MFJ-9040. 25+ years and lots of portable setups later, it's still kicking as good as ever. It's not well advertised, but the MFJ-90XX line have optional boards for a narrow filter and an iambic keys. They are worth the price. The manual gives all the alignment procedures you'll ever have to do. It's basically just a tough ol' bird that can take a hit and keep on chugging.

I say that, but I'm also impressed by some of the other rigs people have suggested....specifically the QSX. Good luck and have fun!

2. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, I posted up thread (probably while you were responding) that I snagged a 9020 off Ebay that came with the keyer and filter. Probably about $300ish off the shelf... I got it from a reputable seller with solid feedback for $150. Even well used that is a decent enough price I couldn't pass it up.

N2SUB likes this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I saw that one. If it had been a 9040, I might have jumped at it. The time of day I would likely have to operate portable from work, I find that 40m is best.

One thing I have come to really dislike about Ebay -- there are 10,000,000 sellers of Pixies and such cheap junk kits. Makes it difficult to find a broad range of potential CW QRP Transceivers. All results you aren't specific about end up buried in Pixies.

4. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That has been a great source of frustration for me as well.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Best I have found to do is limit the price range so that the pixies don't show up.

W9BFZ likes this.
  6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I get pretty good range on 20 when its open, but havent heard much in the past few weeks. It was pretty sparse even during the CWT test last Wednesday.

7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You've done well young sparrow. Have fun with it!

W9BFZ likes this.