ad: Prosistel-1

Need Help Identifying a Connector

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA4ZYN, Apr 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4ZYN

    WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

    70C6E8F4-82E6-440C-87ED-9BF9A836D21D.jpeg Hello! I am in the midst of repairing an old Kenwood TS-940, and need one of these connectors. I don’t even know what to call it in order to search. Can anyone tell me what it is called?

    Francis WA4ZYN
  2. W0FM

    W0FM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    It's called a TMP connector. Frequently used on small coaxial cables inside a transceiver for RF connections. Dig-Key and Mouser would probably be a good source to start with.

    WA7PRC and N0TZU like this.
  3. WA4ZYN

    WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thank you!!! I couldn’t for the life of me dredge that name up from the memory files of my brain. Any idea where I could get one?

    Tnx agn.
    Francis WA4ZYN
  4. WA4ZYN

    WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

    Ha! You already answered that. It’s been a lonnnnng day.
  5. W1BR

    W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

  6. WA4ZYN

    WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thanks. I found some on eBay too. Do you know how to install one on that tiny coax (RG-174, I think)? I've been trying to find instructions on-line, unsuccessfully so far.

    Tnx agn.
    Francis WA4ZYN
  7. W1BR

    W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

    They are crimped. The shield is unweaved, and formed into two pig tails that are brought back along the sides of the coax so that they fit into the two side ears. The crimper compresses the ears, and the coax is held tight. The crimp also makes a solid electrical connection the the shield. To be honest, I just solder the pigtails inside of the ears. So long as the cable isn't going to be handled a lot, that will do the job.

    I have never found a source for the crimping tool.

  8. WA4ZYN

    WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thanks for that info. How is the center conductor attached?
  9. WA4ZYN

    WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

    Could it be crimped using a very small needle-nose pliers?
  10. N8YX

    N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

    I have.

    It's around $700.00 from one of the e-tool supply houses. I'll see if I can dig up a P/N.

    For as few as I crimp per year I can do them manually, though if I can get access to a small ball-end mill and a couple other things I can make a set of anvils for one of my Amp ratchet crimpers.

    FWIW, Taiko Denki (Japan) makes the connectors.

Share This Page