ad: GreatLakes-1

Need help identifying 1943 radio

Discussion in 'Rag Chew Central II' started by W0IS, Sep 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone give me any clues as to the identity of the radio shown here? 1943radio.JPG

There appears to be writing just below the speaker, but I can't make it out. The photo was taken in 1943, so it's obviously a prewar set. It's not a two-band set. The top of the dial is calibrated in kilocycles, and the bottom is calibrated in meters. This practice was still fairly common in 1940, and since it looks fairly new, and because of the small size, I'm guessing it was about a 1941 model. It's obviously a very basic model, probably 4 tubes.

Just below the speaker, there appears to be some writing, but I can't make it out. I've already done lots of searches at Google images for things like "radio octagonal dial," with no luck.

This is from the following iconic photo:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...oardinghouse_room,_Washington,_D.C.,_1943.jpg

I'm going to be writing about this on my blog, and it sure would be nice to identify the radio. If anyone recognizes the logo below the speaker, that will probably be enough to let me find it.

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice clock.

I have a few radios with no markings of any kind. One has a logo in the dial that I can't identify.

The one in that picture should be easier to determine than mine.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

The octagon shaped dial is a signature of many Stomberg Carlson radios of that era.

Also the rounded black knob is another clue.

Here's one for example.

Stromberg Carlson 225-H

Year of manufacture 1936

[​IMG]

Your radio:

[​IMG]

Now here's a few things to note ....

Same shaped knobs on both radios.

The tuning cross needle is exactly the same on both radios.

Note the placement of the knob inside the middle of the tuning dial.

Note the black "dot" where a knob "could" be placed on the Stomberg Carlson radio dial. It is placed in the exact same position on both radios.

Both radios have an octogon outline printed on the tuning dial display just outside the tuning knob or black "dot."

Both radios have writing on the dial at the top of the printed octogon just above the tuning knob in the center of the tuning dial, and writing directly below this tuning knob in the same exact location on both radios.

You can't read this writing on your radio, but you can on the 225- H radio photo I posted.

The writing above the center black dot on the 225-H says 'Stromberg Carlson." The writing below the black dot says, "Triple Range"

Also study the radio dial paying particular attention to the lower left hand corner where the numbers printed on the dial on both radios are clustered close together on the 225-H, and note how the numbers are printed on your radio dial are also clustered together in the same way.

We still have to determine what exact model radio it is, but I am confident it is a Stromberg Carlson design. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, there are definite similarities. And my search for variations of "radio octagon dial" kept showing me the same one you showed.

However, all of the Stromberg-Carlsons I looked at have the name printed in script on the dial. I'm pretty sure that mine only has "kilocycles" and "meters" printed on the dial.

But it's close enough that I wonder whether it was made by S-C and sold under a store name. I sure wish I could make out that writing under the speaker.

KC9UDX likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me it looks reminiscent of one of the private label (store brand) generic sets from the Chicago plants in the mid-30s. I have seen octagon dials on some of them. I think its simplicity is below what S-C would make.
    The escutcheon or decal below the speaker is also typical of the store brands.

7. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

I was also thinking it was a Stromberg Carlson but I couldn't find one just like it anywhere. I also thought it might be a Philco because of the design on the speaker but again, I couldn't find one like in the photo.

8. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

There are several SC radios besides the 225-H that uses the same exact octagon dial.

I am suspecting the writing below the speaker denotes a radio "feature."

"Bass Boost" maybe - just kidding. :p

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

After squinting just right, I finally made it out. It says "ROGER BEEP" :)