ad: SDRKits-1

Need Help Hooking Up RTTY

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KL3JY, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KL3JY

KL3JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello my name is Joseph Pepe-Phelps and I am the president and trustee for the Lumen Christi Amateur Radio Club, WL7CXI. Our voice communications is difficult because when we are on 20 meters it is about 1:30 in the afternoon so the band isn't great. We are trying to hookup RTTY most likely a simple computer program for PC or Mac that we can play the sound out and hold the microphone up to it. Does anyone know of any programs that would be easy to use for RTTY?

Thank you!

Joseph Pepe-Phelps, KL3JY

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Joseph -- I am very late to game here as I have been rather busy with work. There are a lot of choices for software and options for getting started with RTTY. You should check out AA5AU's site at http://www.aa5au.com/rtty/. Feel free to reach out to me via my QRZ email address if you need help getting set-up (hoping those since it has a been a few months that you have gotten it set up). RTTY is a great mode, I can't wait to get my RTTY set-up here at the apartment back up (with a wire on the balcony, will be fun to see what I can work).

3. KL3JY

Great Ill check it out!! I appreciate the help good luck getting yours set up!

73!

KL3JY

4. KV4LQ

KV4LQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want to look into the free version of Ham Radio Deluxe. It provides radio control, logging, as well as almost every digital mode used. The RTTY is very easy to use, and to set up.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at Multipsk it's a free download many digital modes use it all the time.

6. KK4NGD

KK4NGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Joseph, You might also want to look into fldigi (http://www.w1hkj.com/) it does not have all the features of HRD, however it is very simple to setup and use. There are also several other programs that work with it to allow rig control, logging, etc.

de Jackson KK4NGD

7. KL3JY

Great thank you all for the advice!

73 de KL3JY

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Multipsk, which is free and has every digital mode ever thought of and few that never were. :) It works with any soundcard. Although you can use a microphone, it's not recommended, you'll want to hardwire the audio line. Background sound will interfere with the RTTY and would be illegal, as well. But at any rate running sound card modes is a snap. Good luck
    @

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.