ad: ARR

Need Excel to run AC6LA's AutoEZ

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA7ARK, Jan 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Win 7 without Office. I would like to try AutoEZ.

If I buy a "used" version of Office 2003 via EBay, can it be "activated" after I install it on my computer considering that it likely was previously "activated" on some other computer? In other words, does the previous installation/activation interfere with installing it a different computer?

Does that change if the CD set/activation key you get from a FleaBay seller is an "OEM version" vs a "FPP version"?

If buying from an EBay seller, do you have to ascertain if the copy they are selling is OEM or FPP?

Tnx,

Mike

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't researched a specific answer. Keep in mind that Excel has changed in over a decade and a half for security reasons and for improvements. Some security systems, including Windows may disable old, unsafe Excel features.

Alternative: MS Office, including all the other programs, can now be obtained by monthly subscription for $9.99.

3. WA7ARK

The application I want to run uses ExCel Macros which will not run on OpenOffice or LibreOffice. The author of the application (@AC6LA) says his stuff will run on any version of ExCel from 1997 on up (excluding 365) provided that the Service Packs have been applied. He suggests getting 2003 like I linked to from EBay, and then applying the service packs. That presumes that it can be "activated", hence my questions.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It should work as long as the key has not been shared, And others are not using it.

5. WA7ARK

Is the "key" on the CD envelope also embedded inside the CD itself, or does the "key" just have to match a list that Microsoft has on its server?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The key should work with the CD. A internet connection should not be required to install and use it.

If you try to use a MS server to update it, Then the key may be checked by MS to verify that only you own and use it.

What Win7 SP are you using ?

Good Luck.

7. WA7ARK

Win 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you figure out how to do this or did you just have to buy the latest version? I am also thinking of getting AutoEZ and have the same questions.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OEM versions of Win (after Win 98) are usually specific to a certain brand of computer (i.e., H-P, Lenovo, Dell, etc.) and can have the activation encoded on the CD, or embedded in the machine hardware itself. If you try to use it on a different brand of computer, it will often (usually) fail.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I already have a fully licensed Win10 (running as a VM), what I need is Excel (MS Office). It can be any version from 1997 up, as long as the service packs can be downloaded and applied. I’d prefer to get 2007 or later.

I don’t really want or need to pay for the latest version. On eBay there are all sorts of older Office packages but many of them seem very dodgy.

Hence my question, same as WA7ARK had, above.