Need Device Driver For USB Floppy Disk Drive

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KS2G, Aug 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, of course, I can do that.
    But I don't have to.
    I explained back in my post #3 that I found a way to have Explorer see the files.
    And I've been able to open them in the appropriate applications.
    So my problem is solved.
    But, the mystery remains as to why Windows recognizes the presence of the drive, but Explorer does not, unless I do what I described in that post.
    ;)

W4EAE likes this.
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't, really, other than to suggest getting the data off the floppy while you still can via the command line (edit: or via devices and printers).

I'm actually surprised to hear your floppy is still readable. I know they go bad just sitting in a drawer after a few years. And this one is how old?

My guess is the driver you're using is paired with some special software that you're not using or don't have. But that's just a guess because I can also only guess the last time a Windows programmer did anything to deal with "drive A" that has something other than a CD/DVD reader/writer on it. Floppy drives have been considered "legacy" now for at least a decade.

Anyway, get your data off right now. The next time you try reading it, it may not work any more.

Good luck.

3. KS2G

Yes, that's the whole idea. ;)

The disks date back to the late '90s ... and all the ones I've tried so far still can be read.
    :)

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you make that drive Bookable in the BIOS, I think you may find that it will work properly.

A Win 98 boot floppy would be a good test.

You are just fighting Drive Letter assignment that the BIOS can handle.

Me Thinks...

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One is using calls to the BIOS and the other is using the Windows drivers. I don't know that is what is happening here but I've seen similar issues in the past. Explorer can be really finicky about showing certain things.

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

It might be possible to use "Disk management" to make it appear in explorer.

Ed

7. KA9JLM

Diskpart will do it also. A: is a system reserved letter, It is best to set it up in the BIOS. The BIOS will assign instead of the Win OS that has no clue about Drive A: and FAT.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  8. KS2G

Tried that.
    The drive doesn't appear in Disk Management.

9. KS2G

No.
    The drive doesn't appear there.
    And, as I posted earlier, I'm not about to go mucking about in the BIOS.

10. KA9JLM

OK. Sometimes you need too, To make things work properly, That is part of being a system administrator.

I normally want the Boot record and hidden files copied. I guess you do not need that.

Carry on. If you are happy that is all that counts. :)

TGIF.