Need Device Driver For USB Floppy Disk Drive

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KS2G, Aug 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The laptop is brand new --OEM BIOS settings.
    What would be there that would account for the behavior I've described?

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone still trying to get data off a floppy today? Last time I did that was somewhere around 2005 or so. I remember the *real* floppy (literally FLOPPY!) disks back in the 80's.

I'm waiting for another 2TB SATA SSD to come in the mail Monday so I can clonezilla my home server spinner to it.

I'll then just have ONE more computer left in the house with spinning hard drives--the entertainment computer in the living room. Soon, that'll have an SSD in it.

SSD boot drives, SSD backup drives, and USB thumb drives to transfer (relatively) small files--that's all I want these days.

As my motherboards go bad, I'm replacing them with motherboards that support NVME/M.2 drives. Those things are fast by today's standard!... They'll be (relatively) slow in about 10 years...

I still have a couple of USB spinners with archived data on them.

3. KS2G

And this provides the help/information I requested in my OP how?
    :confused:

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Security settings for attached USB devices.

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also the use of Drives A & B (the defaults for floppy drives) can be disabled in some BIOSs. Depending on whether the Windows application is using BIOS calls or not could make one application work and another not.

6. KS2G

Thanks, but given that the kluge I've described works for my purposes, I don't think I'll go mucking about in the BIOS.
    ;)

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. KS2G

Might be the case, but then how to explain that I can access the drive (Drive A) with the procedure that I described in my post #3?

8. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering if you can issue simple DOS commands against A: ? If so, the device restrictions might be built into Explorer.

9. KS2G

I had not tried that, but yes that works!
    I went to command line ... was able to switch to Drive A ... and a DIR command produced a file list.

But if Explorer is restricting Drive A, how is it that I can get Explorer to "see" the drive when I use the procedure that I described in my post #3.
    :confused:

10. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you are trying to 'see?' If you typed 'dir' and saw the files/directories, then you know what is there. Just copy them to a directory in the root of you c: dirve (temporarily), then use explorer to move them to where you would like.