Need Device Driver For USB Floppy Disk Drive

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KS2G, Aug 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have, or know a source for, a Windows 10 device driver for an HP-branded Mitsumi D353FUE usb floppy disk drive?

My web searching hasn't found anything.

The drive shows up in Device Manager under Floppy Disk Drives.
    But no sign of it in Windows Explorer.

:(

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about in drive manager?

3. KS2G

No, not there either.
    But I've discovered a way to see the drive and what's on it.
    The drive does appear in Devices and Printers and if I right-click on it, there's an option to Browse Files.
    If I click on that, Floppy Disk (A) appears in Files Explorer and I can see/open/copy/move the files.
    Very strange.
    :confused:

4. VE3CLG

VE3CLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same problem with usb flash drive with windows 10 .Then i use it in other usb port and all was showing fine .so use othe usb ports and see if it is going to work for you .

5. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah that win 10 for you!
    i dont use windows anymore.
    floppy disks are supposed to have gone the way of the dinosaurs. so windows 10 generally wont see them.
    so it makes it a pain in the arse for people to try to get their old info off of them.
    i have to order a usb drive and use my linux computer to copy the old floppies for the fire hall for re-archiving (and theres a lot of them)

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

7. KS2G

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a "Memorex" USB (2.0) external floppy drive since XP days, and it works fine even with Win XP, Win 8.1, AND Win 10. It IS actually "Plug and Play, miracle of miracles! (It DOES show up in "File Mangler.:p") and I have no problem getting files off 3.5" floppies even with Win 10. I guess it depends on the actual maker of the drive. (Now, if only someone made a USB external 5.25" drive...:()

I just wonder how old is, the drive the OP is using. Even Win 10 is supposed to "understand" an external 3.5" floppy as "Drive "A"

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  9. KS2G

Dave,

The USB Floppy Disk Drive that I have is the same the kind of advice to which your link refers.

Just that mine is an old one --from a long-gone HP Windows laptop (don't recall which version --perhaps VISTA--) that I also used successfully with a more recent Win10 machine ... that for some reason Win10 on my newly acquired ASUS laptop just "doesn't like" ... even though Windows says it's using the latest available driver.

As I posted, Win10 recognizes the device (physically) in Devices and Printers but doesn't "see" it initially in File Explorer -- but I found that it then shows-up there if I use the procedure that I describe in my post #3.

It's a kluge, but it works.

So you can close this thread, if you like.
    ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to check the BIOS settings.

WF9Q likes this.