Need D104 help please?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by W4AVT, Jan 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4AVT

W4AVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Setting up a D104 to work and sound properly on a Yaesu FT1000MP MKV?

Please email any ideas thank you.

Eric
    W4AVT

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

You Have no E-mail Listed...
    Dont know if you are looking for wiring instructions
    or adjustment settings...
    YMMV

KB0MNM likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As posted above, is the issue wiring as in correct pin outs on the connector to support your Yaesu or do you have it wired properly but are unhappy with the sound quality? Also do you have an older D104 with no buffer amp in the base or a newer model (newer than 1960s or so) with the transistor buffer amp and 9V battery in the microphone base assembly?

KD8DEY likes this.
  4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about SHARING them here on the forum? That is its purpose! :)

KC8VWM and KB0MNM like this.
  5. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

My suggestion is to scrap the crystal element, amp, and battery so you can wire up an electret mic with biasing circuit. I just got done doing a complete restoration on a D104 that is hooked up to my Icom IC-9100. Getting ready to do one for Kenwood. Sorry, don't do Yaesu. Here's a link to a simple circuit that will get you started.

http://www.w1aex.com/mic/mic.html

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The D-104 preamplified models with the preamp in the base/stand don't need any modification to work with the Yaesu: Just wire it up, plug it in and use it.

If you're trying to use a non-preamplified original D-104...that won't work.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's extremely bad advice. Perplexed? Let me explain. While the method may work with the modern Yaesu transceiver, "scrap[ing] the crystal element..." will trash a perfectly good and sought after and now no longer manufactured Astatic crystal element. If it is a good one, that's one less in existence for operators of vintage equipment to use.

The "D-Wonderful" is called that for a reason. The original mic., introduced in 1934 was THE ham mic in a day when most hams were struggling with carbon element mics that sounded bad. The D-104 changed everything. The original element with diaphragm in your mic (actually probably from the 1970s but original in this one) if good and unmolested by ignorant CBers, is valuable. Most hams today don't know how to make them work and they only work well with a vacuum tube preamp stage that has a grid input resistor of 5 to 10 megohms. If you don't know what I'm talking about, and your D-104 has no transistorized preamp in the base, then I recommend selling it at a hamfest to someone who has a vintage phone rig to go with it, and getting another mic., or a preamplified D104 and following WB2WIK's advice. Whatever you do, please don't destroy it with an electret element.

How to know if it is good? clip the mic. cord to the vertical input of an oscilloscope with clip leads and a BNC adapter and adjust the v/div scale for most sensitive. Speak into the mic. The element will generate enough audio voltage to give a nice audio trace on the scope if the element is good.

W2VW, KB0MNM and NH7RO like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It actually took quite a bit to kill an old D-104 crystal element.

In the 60s-early 70s I had five D-104s (original issue, no preamps), three on desk stands and two on boom mounts. They were not expensive and sounded pretty good. I took some to Field Days where they were exposed to high heat, humidity, and even rain -- and also to outings where frost clung to them. Never damaged any of them.

I know "over time," they do get damaged by environmental extremes, I just never saw it happen.

D-104 was the first "desk mike" I ever bought, back in 1966 when I got my General and had voice privileges. It was $14.99 (without the stand) I believe. Good deal.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do people need to look you up on Facebook to get your email address ?

Welcome to QRZ.

10. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

It can be good advice depending on what the OP's goals are. If he wants a great sounding and reliable mic he should do the electret conversion. He'll get a great sounding mic and never need change a 9v battery as the preamp isn't needed. My crystal element, while 41-years old and in great working shape, needed to be trashed to make way for modern tech in a nostalgic mic housing. The D104 is a great mic, I had them back in the 70s and they are built to last a century. Me personally, I'm after that great audio in that classic well built housing of the D104. The OP can use the $5 electret method which is great for most modern applications or he can buy a Heil HC-5.1 retrofit kit from DXEngineering to squeeze out every last bit of performance. Either way, I'm not trying to resurrect dinosaurs.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-hc51retrokit/documentation