ad: ProAudio-1

Need competent tech.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N8WXT, Aug 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8WXT

N8WXT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in Ohio and I'm in need of someone that can diagnose a problem with my Collins 32v1 transmitter. Does anyone have knowledge of a repair shop that specializes in repair of these old transmitters here in Ohio ?.

2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

What does it do/not do?
    The major issue they had was the low voltage transformer failing.
    I removed the load of the rectifier filaments off it and it runs cool and has been fine for the last 35 years.
    Nothing has failed in it ever.
    I had one I got for free that had a shorted trimmer cap in the multiplier section. It was included with another one as spare parts.
    Easy fix.

3. N8WXT

Was running fine and left alone while on for a few hrs came back and fuse was blown now will not power up at all will blow the fuse every time. I am vary limited on electronic knowledge and do not have the equipment to do a through testing on this.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In Ohio, no one comes to mind. I can think of Terry N6TLU in Battle Creek but he's in Michigan. Most of us fix our gear ourselves. I won't state adamantly that it goes with the territory but you're sort of at this point where you can see this as an opportunity to learn about the rig and AM CW transmitters in general, that is to say, the vintage class C final type rigs, and how they work and how to figure out what's wrong and make repairs. It can be a satisfying and enjoyable part of running vintage rigs and you may find you enjoy that more than operating, and find some satisfaction in not having to depend on someone else to fix things. That said, I understand that it's a downer when something craps out and we all have to deal with some frustration since the gear usually picks a bad time to die on us. But one of the advantages to the old rigs is that the schematic is usually on a single fold out page and you can get in and replace parts, which is just about impossible with the new throw away plastic radios. You can do a lot with a few hand tools and a volt ohm milliamp meter and a clear table top and good bright lamp.

One other option: I've never owned any of the 32V rigs but they look like and I'm told, are a bear to work on because Collins smashed all the parts into a too-small cabinet so the tx would match the 75A receivers in looks and size. My hunch is that you have a short to ground in your plate transformer or modulation transformer (I'd check those first). Depending on what's wrong and at the risk of angering the Collins fanatics, I'd consider getting rid of it and running some other rig that's easier to get into and repair, a DX-100 maybe or a Johnson rig.

5. N2DTS

Which fuse blows, the HV or the LV?
    If its the LV its most likely the LV transformer.

6. N8WXT

Ok here is what i have found out so far it appears that one of the oil filled caps number c304 had sprung a leak the manual shows this as a high voltage rectifier filter cap the oil ran out of the bottom when i had it tilted . According to what i have found out the oil prevents arching within the cap so most likely this came out or has been coming out and dropped to a sufficient level to cause it to arc internally . Like i said i have no electronics background Im just investigating and finding out what i can but any information would be appreciated as to what else this may have done .

7. N2DTS

Which fuse blows?

8. N2DTS

On my 32V3, C303 is the HV cap, a big oil filled 8 uf at 1000 volts.
    They normally last forever.
    If the radio is on but not transmitting, there will be no high voltage, so nothing in the HV section will blow a fuse.

9. N8WXT

This has two at 8 uf 1000 volts their not the square ones you normally see their held on with what looks like a large nut at the bottom but one is defiantly leaked out alot of oil it was all over the inside near the terminal strip inside the rear of the chassis . Im currently looking for a replacement .

10. N2DTS

On my transmitter, those two are the low voltage filter caps.
    4 uf each.