Need Assistance with Unlicensed Operation, N. Denver Area

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD0YMG, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0YMG

KD0YMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. I'm writing on behalf of Intermountain Repeater Group, a small club in the Denver, CO area. We maintain 4 repeaters serving the area.

We have a problem with unlicensed operators using the output frequency of the 449.525 repeater for simplex operation. None of the club members speak Spanish, so we can't tell whether any of these people are responding to our warnings and attempts to engage them. But they haven't stopped. (I'm using a few phrases from Google Translate.)

If anyone in the area is able and willing to assist, we would greatly appreciate it. We could use help with:
    • RDF
    • Spanish Language
    • Name of a business, if it's commercial use
    I will be updating the notice on our website as we learn more. Currently, there are images showing the initial RDF bearing. (To the best of my ability to estimate - apparently, I'm terrible at using a compass, especially one with light blue numbers that I can't read. :( )

We have a report that the signals are very strong near Faversham park, at 73rd & Ingalls, but weaker in Commerce City. At my QTH in Littleton, I can hear them only sporadically.

I'll watch this thread, or PM me, or use the contact form at the club website.

Thanks for any/all help advice.

2. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

umm.... How about asking a spanish speaker for a little help. Bunch of them there. Seems logical.

3. KD0YMG

That's what I just did with this post. I won't assume that I know every Spanish-speaking ham in the N. Metro area. In fact, I don't know any.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get a hold of Riley's troops the Volunteer Monitors, tell your ARRL section Manager in Colorado. There are several VO's in the Front Range area, that I know of.
    Spanish is no problem they will record and there are VO's that can translate

I believe several of the Colo VO's are using the new triangulation program that could do DF fix also

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    W5BIB, K0IDT, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or, you might just connect your receiver audio output to your computer's audio input and record some of the communications, create a file, and post that so hams here can listen to and translate it. This is best done using an audio isolation transformer or "something" to isolate the connection and prevent ground-loop hum and stuff. If you have an external digital mode interface unit for working digi modes on ham radio, that would do the job.

Of course, they may never identify who they are or where they are, but might give some clues.

I'd suspect they are local to each other, otherwise your repeater output (when it keys up) would likely clobber them.

KI7HSB, KA0HCP and K0UO like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet from Lookout Mountain and a few of the fix QTH's that the new triangulation program it could do a DF fix within 30feet using the new Raytheon program

On HF we're getting within 30 Meters just using two antenna separated 1500 feet apart and one other location. Using TDoA (Time Difference of Arrival ) Direction Finding (DF) checking integrated statistical localization algorithm which allows the localization of transmitters based on AoA (Angle of Arrival)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  7. KD0YMG

I do have a plan to record them. At my QTH, it's very sporadic and mostly noise. I do intend to try to record them using SDR Sharp on my next trip up there to try some RDF. I think we do at least partially clobber them with the repeater, but they just don't care.

Anyone in the area is invited to get on that machine, any time. Or, for purposes of education, speaking to them on simplex. There isn't a lot of talk on that repeater, so more hams using it, more clobbering!

ETA: Have contacted Bob - N0ESQ.

Got a link for that Raytheon program? A web search is pretty useless.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I might be very local guys (maybe not to you, but to the repeater or some of the users) using Baofengs or similar Chinese rigs that will transmit all over the place and are often sold on websites as "license free," and they don't even know they're operating outside the Part 95 band.

We have some stuff like that going on around here, too -- and maybe everywhere.:p

9. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not within the rules for a licensed station to speak with an unlicensed station.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

After you find the perps, then what? What's the next step? Do you have a plan?

@KD0YMG