Need assistance setting up SignaLink USB and FT-857D

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KM4CPJ, Jun 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM4CPJ

KM4CPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I need some assistance in setting up my Ft-857D to properly communicate with the SignaLink USB so I can try my hand at some digital modes.

I've downloaded WSJT-X software and I'm just not getting anywhere in the proper setup for using the 857D along with the SignaLink USB. I've watched way too many YouTube vids in efforts of configuring my setup but the more I watch them the more confused I'm getting.

So here's what I think I need....Looking for a Elmer who CURRENTLY uses the exact same hardware that I'm using so I can hopefully FINALLY get this radio configured properly....

I'm rather new...was a tech for approx 2-3 years and recently upgraded to general several months ago.

So, if anyone who has an 857D, a SignaLink USB, and an IBM-compat using Windows 10 can spare some time assisting me with configuring I'd be a happy HAM.

Thank you in advance for reading, replying, and hopefully not taking too much of your time in assisting me.

Jeff
    KM4CPJ...DM66rr

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeff,
    The one new piece of information I have read about setting up a digital configuration like your is about Windows 10. It seems a resent MS update includes something about the microphone input has to be turned on. I don't run Windows 10, but it seems to be an addition to moving the slider to set input levels.

It would help to know where or what the confusion is.

My short version... There are two paths of communication between the radio and computer. One path is control such as frequency and mode. You can operate digitally without that path, but you will have to manual control the radio from the front panel and any logging you will have to manual update the contact information before logging. The other path is audio and is an absolute must get it right to receive and transmit. The SignaLink USB only supports that path with the exception that it has a VOX function that will key the radio if the audio out of the computer is above the threshold.

Much has been written as you have found out. Break the problem into small pieces. Start with receive, getting the radio set, then the SignaLink and finally the computer/application. Then work the transmit part following the same 'blocks'. Then finally the control path. (CAT).

Good Luck,
    Mike