Need App to Monitor Download Use by Device

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by N0TZU, Mar 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We keep hitting the limit for GB per month at my house. I need an app to monitor usage by device on WiFi so I know who needs to cut back.

I haven’t found a built in tool for this on the router. Using OS X on Macs, iOS phones and iPads. The router is an AirPort Time Capsule, ethernet to the main Mac, WiFi to everything else.

Recommendations?

2. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

On the "Services" page on its site, my ISP, Comcast (Xfinity), has a "View Data Usage" tool, that reads out data consumption to date for the current billing period, plus the preceding six months. Perhaps your ISP offers something similar.

Chuck
    WV8A

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

When I cared about this (uncapped now), I ran an app on the DD-WRT software running on an Asus router (RT-15, IIRC). You need something at the router that passes the traffic from the clients to know who's doing what.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That only tells me the aggregate usage, not usage by device which is what I need.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can Apple run vnstat ?

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

How about in the Utilities folder > Activity Monitor app > Network tab? The only downside is that'll only track since the computer was last turned on so if you have to restart or the power goes out, you'll lose the data you've been tracking.

You might want to enter network use in the App Store's search box to see what might be to your liking.

7. KA9JLM

Sounds like a good reason to use a Linux or a Windows box. :rolleyes:

Please stop streaming video, You are slowing down my internet data connection. :D

8. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what solutions to the OP's needs are available on either of those platforms?

The macOS Activity Monitor app won't show data usage by other devices connected to a router, just what's in use by the host computer.

9. KA9JLM

NagiosPi running on a RPi3 may be a good choice.

[​IMG]

10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

This a bit out of the ordinary but have you looked at "Circle" (meetcircle.com). It attaches itself to a Apple Airport device and provides all sort of monitoring and control. It was designed to provide a family-friendly Internet environment.