ad: QSKLLC-1

Need Advice From Users, IC-9700 vs. FT-991a. Which One ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking to get back on VHF, SSB and/or Satellites.

I'm torn between the two rigs in the title, I know there is a price difference but I need some first hand experiences from current users.

I think my only concern, is ease of satellite access, control, Doppler tracking etc.

I'll review responses and take it from there, thanks.

Bill
    K2WH

W9WQA likes this.
  2. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi
    Hi Bill!

The IC-9700 seem to be the no-brainer for you. My reasoning.

While I'm a FT-991A fan, it lacks dual watch or full-duplex functionality: This is not a must, but something highly desirable for Satellite operations.
    Just by this single feature the 9700 justifies over the 991A.

Also; since you stated your main interest in VHF and SSB, the 991A can put up to 50W in VHF, while the 9700 will spit a full hundred watt in VHF - plus 70W in UHF

Needless to remind that the 9700 will also provide you access to the 1.2 GHz band.

So, considering your use case, I think that the IC-9700 is the right decision for your usage.

My best regards;

- RF.

K4BAD and WD9EWK like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto.

I still have an FT-736R which is a good multiband, multimode VHF-UHF rig that does full duplex for satellite work and in my experience, without that I'd feel very handicapped.

The IC-9700 is quite different being an SDR with a touchscreen and all that, but they included the right features to make it a good sat rig. I don't have one (yet) but probably will before long, if for no other reason than to at least check it out and if it's good will become a permanent part of the station; and if not, it'll be listed here on QRZ.com as "lightly used.":p

WD9EWK likes this.
  4. K2WH

Thanks guys, that was the direction I was leaning not only for the sat capabilities but I don't need another rig that does HF.

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I own both, and the FT-991A is only used on 2m and 70cm for C4FM.

The IC-9700 is a fantastic radio, and no one else is making anything directly comparable.

6. K2WH

Thanks for that opinion and I have already talked to the wife and she is allowing me to get one.

N4XRD and PY2RAF like this.