need 48 states!

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KE5RRH, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No offense intended, but the next piece of equipment young Daniel needs is a good elmer!!!

You have entered a fantastic hobby. Take your time, listen first, learn and keep learning. You'll do fine. :eek:

2. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

hehe got that taken care of I know LOTS of experienced hams so i can ask them if i need help :). Yea i listened to 20m today but they keep on walking me over!! D:... i need a better antenna too and put it higher :D Oh and ill be learning morse code :D

3. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

KE5RRH,

The ITU (International Telecommunications Union) has devised in order to keep everthing uniform, that all phone communications below 14mhz (20 meters band) are to be in LSB. And everything above 7mhz (40 meters band) are to be in USB.

Digital modes are received and transmitted in USB no matter where you are in the spectrum. This is SSTV, FSTV, CW, PSK, RTTY, and so on. So just keep in mind that most phone transmissions in 20 meters and above are going to be USB. It isn't illegal to operate on LSB, but its going against the "norm"

The only exception to this is the 60 meters band (5mhz) by law is only in USB and with a maximum of 50 watts. Also a group of hams that use ALE (AutomaticLinkEstablishment) use USB exlusively on all bands. So if you're tuning around 75 or 40 meters and hear a couple of hams using USB, chances are they're with that group who use ALE. But for the rest of us, LSB on 40meters, 75meters, and 160meters, and USB on 60meters, 30meters (digital only), 20meters, 17meters, 15meters, 12meters, and 10meters.

4. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

weird, since my antenna is only 20m dipole and i can get on the maritime net on USB 14.300mhz :| I heard pennsylvania, delaware, florida, alabama, and even canada :O with a 5 8. each time i try to talk i get walked over by another station D: I need to borrow my ham buddy's 2000watt amplifier :D haha jk. Well one thing for sure i need a beam antenna... but i won't beable to put up one b/c the stupid deed restrictions D:.

5. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't follow you... What is weird????

And how high do you have your 20 meter dipole? It could just be that those stations can't hear you, not that they're ignoring you. I know you're only kidding but a lot more goes into installing a high power amplifer than just having your ham buddy bring it over and slap it on. Like if your feedline or antenna isn't capable of handling the power you could easily blow your rig up, or catch the trees on fire when the wire catches on fire. And if you're not properly grounded you'll most likely cause severe RFI/TVI with electronics in your home or your neighbor's.

I can easily work just about anywhere with 100 watts. But the antenna is key. What type of 20 meter dipole do you have? Instead of trying to check into some international marine net, why not just pick a clear frequency and start calling CQ, after a few tries you'll probably have someone answering you. See how well you get out.

What kind of radio are you using? How much power? Are you using the radio's processor? If so what is your ALC level when you speak?

6. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

I am using a icom 706 MKIIG, not sure what level i speak with hahahahha.. yea the antenna i have prob cant hold that much watts.. its a homemade 20m dipole dosen't look that great.... so ill prob go out and buy a 20m vertical or a much better dipole antenna :), yea talked to a ham and he said the antenna is very important.... the antenna its hmmm... 15feet in the air?? well the tallest point is on a tree then goes to my fence post.. I need to get me some longer coax cable so i can put it high in the trees and still go to my room or get a new antenna :) im on 14.250mhz and right now there are mexican stations*speaking mexican* on it hahahha anyways 73s ke5rrh

7. DL7GEM

DL7GEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am relatively newly licensed myself, so any "elmering" on what follows would
    be most welcome.

The radiation pattern of dipoles changes quite a bit with the height above ground.
    The lower you get, the more omni-directional the pattern becomes. If memory
    serves correctly, the radiation pattern even gets a strong preference for directions
    straight up. The optimum height is half a wavelength above ground. This will give
    give two radiation lobes with an elevation of abt. 15 degrees.
    If you want to make contacts over greater distances, you'll need to put your
    dipole significantly higher up than 15ft.

I see that you are feeding your dipole with coax. Are you using a balun? If not,
    try using one. Feeding a symmetric antenna directly with coax will disrupt
    the radiation pattern.

As kb5fsv already said, 100W should be plenty to work anywhere. I am using
    a softrock SDR which has abt 2W output and I'm getting good reports from locations
    1500mi from where I live. This is in CW, though, but, generally speaking, you should
    be able to get similar results with, say, 20W when working in phone/USB. As a
    "small pistol" I often work in "search and pounce" mode, i.e. I look for stations
    calling CQ and call them. If they are stations using 100W I can normally contact
    them without any problems if their S is 6 or greater. My antenna setup is modest:
    for 20m I am using a triple leg (easy to build and good for DX), for 30m I built a
    dipole having one leg vertical, the other leg forming an angle of abt 130deg with the
    vertical one, giving an impedance very close to 50Ohm at resonance (even easier to
    build than the triple leg). Both antennas are mounted on a 36ft "fishing rod". This
    makes swapping antennas rather easy. As both antennas are resonant I am not using
    an antenna tuner.

I think it is very likely that the other stations simply cannot hear you, as kb5fsv already
    said. Are you sure that your TX is really producing the output power it should produce?
    What SWR do you get? Many (most?) commercial transceivers will reduce output
    power when the SWR is too high in order to protect the PA.

Did you check the quality of your signal? It might be beneficial to transmit into
    a dummy load and to monitor your signal on a second receiver. That way you
    can make sure that your signal produces intellegible audio on the other end.

Just my EUR--.02.

Cheers,
    Marcus -- DL7GEM

8. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

wow thanks for hte info! Well i havent checked the swr meter what ratings would be good? 3? So for the antenna tuner i would set it to dummy load and test it out? Also im going to move my antenna higher to see if its any better, the antenna is really old and has not been used in quite some time so that may be another key factor, if it dosen't work, im going to EPO*elec store kinda near by here* and buy a long wire antenna from them for $40 :p they looked like much much better quality then the one i have. HOpe i can get this situation fixed! so i can get my WAS award :p Anyways thanks and 73s

9. AC4R

AC4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out omiss.net. WAS net with nets on all bands.

10. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, well my 20 meter dipole which is homemade as well, is only 6 meters above ground, which puts it roughly at 20 feet. I usually don't have any issues talking to anyone, unless I'm trying to work someone in a pile up, and then its natural for the station to not hear me over the several other stations calling at the same time. My antenna consists of about 30 feet of RG-8X coax, and some zip-cord speaker wire. Cut it to the correct length and then soldered one end to the braided shield, and the other piece's end to the center conductor. Hoisted it up a 20 foot mast, and one end goes down in a 45 degree angle to a fence, and the other one at a slightly less angle of about 15 degrees into a tree limb.

You might want to read the manual to make sure you're putting out the maximum power of the radio. When you key up and talk do all of the bars light up across the display? It should if you're putting out 100 watts. Most of the settings for power output and compression etc. are in the menus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.