need 48 states!

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by KE5RRH, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

Yes thats right 48, ok well I got my general license on dec the 8th.. and going to get my radio which is a kenwood ts-920 this saturday from w2ns*thanks!* who is going to let me borrow it for some time [​IMG]. I got New York taken care of, and Texas*where im at* should be super easy for me. So I was wondering anybody in the United states besides texas and NY want to qso with me ? :p, my goal is to get all states in a month :p. Also how do i get the award, don't I need to send in the cards to somplace? if so mind telling me how? Thanks! and i will be buying my qsl cards tomorrow from cheapqsl... Thanks and 73s! Oh how is the HF band recently?

2. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

To answer the second question first, the Worked All States Award is given by the ARRL; for details, check their web site at www.arrl.org.

And now to step 2 - whatever you're taking, stop taking it, it's making me dizzy just trying to read your post!

Get on the air and listen. Instead of just checking off states, zones, DX entities, and multipliers, try talking to people along the way, you might hear some good stories if you do.

If you're in Texas, you should be able to get most states pretty easily with a modest station and some patience. You might not get them all in a month, but so what, nobody's going to care how long it took you to earn WAS except you mom.

When you've been at it for a while, you'll realize some states are hard to get. You can usually get those by entering a state QSO party, and then skedding the last few. Note I said the last few: trying to sked 48 states is mental! [​IMG]

Relax, listen, have a ball.

3. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure.

I am in NJ and can do NJ tomorrow if you'd like (I'm home all day).

In that case you missed a great opportunity last week - the North American QSO party.

However, there are still others like SPAR Winter Field day and the OMISS QSO party.

Remember you also have to get the QSL card. My suggestion is to also set up an ARRL Logbook of The World (LoTW) account so you can get your confirmations quickly and painlessly. Many contesters and an increasing number of casual operators are uploading to LoTW and as a result you can get your states confirmed quickly without QSLs.

You can also check out nets like 3905 Century Club who are dedicated to paper chasing.

Instructions are here.

Bottom of the sunspot cycle - generally 20m and up close early during the day, but the low bands (30, 40, 80, 160) are great...

4. KI4PRK

KI4PRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can do Virginia if you really want to, but as this is one of the most very common states, you will hardly need the sked. I'll go with the others, and say just listen up for the common ones, and then wait for a State QSO party or the Sweepstakes.

5. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tennessee checking in... I'll listen for you!

6. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

Thanks guys! Really helpful information you all gave :p sorry i cant do it today cause I have no HF radio yet!!lol. I will be getting mine on saturday :p then i will beable, yes i know i am mental wanting to try to get 48 states in a month :p Anywas thanks and 73s!

p.s. when i get my radio i will be roaming 14.300mhz [​IMG]

7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll strongly advise against that.

14.300 is the Maritime Mobile Service net and they're on practically all day every day.

8. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

Oh ok, then what freq do you recommend? Haha stupid me i didn't knew you had to be a ARRL member for the W.A.S. so i will take it slowly now, as i don't have enough money for the membership*Well i do, just saving up for radios, keep in mind im only 16* anyways 73s... is 14.400mhz good? wait is 14.400 for SSTV though?

9. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14.400 Mhz? Yikes! You better take another look at this link my friend. Band plan

10. KE5RRH

KE5RRH Guest

LOL wow... shame on me :p i should of had known hahahah. 14.242 mhz then :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.