NEC2 Vs FEKO

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by EA1DDO, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I use to run a NEC2 software, 4NEC2, to create and optimize our antennas, Yagi, Quad, etc.
    Recently I´ve got a copy of FEKO, the professional electromagnetic software.
    I have spent some minutes on it, to see the demo and some example antennas, nothing else so far.

My question is if that kind of software can replace NEC2 for usual design and optimization?

I am asking because the first impression I had is that FEKO is more focused on electromagnetic test of an already optimized design, more than optimize a design from scratch.
    Am I wrong?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

73, Maximo - EA1DDO

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically you want to use the fastest software you can for optimization, as long as the accuracy is "good enough."

I've not use FEKO, but my understanding is that it is too slow.

Instead of optimization, computers may be getting powerful enough for brute force problem solving. Given, say, a 1mm element accuracy, run all possible models and report the "best one."

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used FEKO. It's cumbersome, expensive, and too slow. 4NEC2 is good enough for my little projects. I'm using NEC 2, haven't found the need for NEC4...

4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

FEKO is extremely powerful, but has a quite steep learning curve.

At my employer, FEKO is used for most electromagnetic simulations,
    including transient cases as well as magnetostatic and electrostatic modelling.

For "everyday" antenna modelling, 4NEC2, especially with use of the NEC4 computional engine,
    is perfectly adequate.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KX4O likes this.
  5. EA1DDO

I understand are different products, for different targets, etc.
    But my question is more if FEKO can do same tasks as 4NEC2?
    For example, Can FEKO optimize (Evolve, Sweep, etc)? Gain/SWR plots? re-scale to a different wavelenght? etc...

Thanks

6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Your have to either find library functions that do such tasks or write scripts yourself.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For design and optimization I'd suggest EZNEC Pro (running either the NEC2 or NEC4 engine depending on your needs) along with Dan's (@AC6LA) AutoEZ Excel application which makes it easy to iterate through multiple variables during optimization.

https://www.ac6la.com/autoez.html

N0TZU likes this.
  8. EA1DDO

I see.
    It is able to do many things, but not as it comes.

Because I´ve got it installed already, I will spend some time to learn and try. Just for fun, or future needs, who knows...
    I´ve got CST Suite as well. Not installed yet.

Thank you Karl-Arne.

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. EA1DDO

I use Eznec from years ago. But for optimization purposes... 4NEC2 is far better than Eznec. For plots as well.
    4NEC2 has at least three optimization modes; Evolve, Sweep and Optimization, where you can adjust most variables, from element size or diameter, up to frequency or height. And everything for free.
    Eznec can´t, and AutoEZ is not free.
    What I like from Eznec is to create the geometry and stacks, very easy.

Thanks.
    73, Maximo

KX4O likes this.
  10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct, that's why I recommend Dan's AutoEZ add on that supports parameter sweeps and additional plotting capabilities. I'm not a 4NEC2 user so I can't compare the capabilities but AutoEZ definitely improves the optimization power of EZNEC.