NEC Antenna Modeling Software for Big Sur

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by WF9F, Feb 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WF9F

WF9F Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking to find an antenna modeling system that works with Big Sur. I cannot seem to get cocoaNEC to work with 11.2.

Appreciate any recommendations on antenna modeling apps that work on the new OS, and without switching to VMware/Parallels, etc.

Thank you!
    Matt/WF9F

2. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I fixed some build issues and recompiled cocoaNec from source, and it runs just fine on Big Sur on my new M1 MacBook Pro. Email the author to ask if it's ok for me to send you a copy of my fork.

3. N9SE

N9SE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ask for all of us.

N9SE

4. N6YWU

For really simple tiny antenna models, one can try the old 1986 Basic version of MiniNEC3. I've ported it to run under Chipmunk Basic on a Mac or Raspberry Pi. BASIC source code and information links here: https://github.com/hotpaw2/mininec3
    There's also a beta version of Chipmunk Basic accelerated for the new Apple Silicon M1 Macs here: http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/

I can't yet build NEC-3 (or wsjtx-x, or scipy), since a Fortran compiler for the M1 Mac doesn't seem to be available yet.

5. 9A4BL

9A4BL Ham Member QRZ Page

at me, and after upgrade to Big Sur version 1.2 cocoaNEC 2.0 works fine...

Attached Files:

6. KJ7NLL

KJ7NLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Mi Matt,

I've always wondered if xnec2c works in OSX. It works in Linux and FreeBSD. Recently inotify support was added, so if the latest version doesn't work then try v4.1.5: https://www.xnec2c.org/

-Eric, KJ7LNW

7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to throw this out there as an option: You can install a virtual machine on your Mac (I use VMWare's Fusion, and it's free), install Windows (you'll need a key/license), then run any of the plethora of Windows antenna modeling programs available to your content.

8. N6YWU

An x86 Windows VM requires an Intel Mac. Apple doesn't make many of those models any more. That's one reason that I prefer software that is, or that I can compile for native M1 (or later?) Apple Silicon processors.

BTW, cocoaNEC 2.0 runs quite fast when compiled to native arm64 code. I might even try to see if I can get gfortran to compile the newer NEC 5 to native arm64 on an M1 Mac, since an individual license for NEC 5 is cheaper than for NEC 4.

WF7A likes this.
  9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for reminding me--I forgot about the M1s...or M2s that'll be out later this year.

I can understand the catch of using Parallels for M1s: you're limited to the ARM version of Windows that's used on machines with non-Intel processors, so not every Windows app will run on it.

...and my apologies to WF9F for not reading his post fully; I need to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly how I'm running EZNEC Pro 6 on my 2020 MacBook Pro, the free version of VMWare Fusion running Windows 10 and EZNEC running in that environment. It works fine and was pretty easy to setup the virtual machine environment. I have a copy of EZNEC running on a desktop PC in my workshop but it's nice work from the laptop. My old Windows laptop that I ran for years bit the dust a while back and though I like a lot of things about the the Mac OS I never really warmed up to CocoaNEC.