ad: Radclub22-1

Nebraska Amateur Radio License Plate Form

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0FRU, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K0FRU

K0FRU Ham Member QRZ Page

For those interested. I have scanned the State of Nebraska DMV Application For Amateur Radio License Plates form into pdf format for those who would like to have it. I added text entry to the top portion from the Name to Business Phone field for those who would like to fill it out before printing it. I'm currently working on the rest as adding it to the VIN and call sections will be time consuming due to the single letter squares on the form.
    Here are the addresses:

http://65.31.233.43/w0avm/nebhamplate.pdf

http://www.qsl.net/w0avm/nebhamplate.pdf

Thanks & 73!
    W0AVM

2. KG4KKN

KG4KKN Ham Member QRZ Page

For residents of Georgia, the DMV has prepared a PDF for obtaning a ham licence plate. Use Acrobat to fill in the info they need, print a copy and take to your county tag office. They will probably want to see your ham license too.

The web address is: www.legis.state.ga.us/departments/dmvs/forms/pdf/mv-9x.pdf

PLEASE NOTE!!! This is also the form for requesting some other special tags, all of which have fees. The ham tag upgrade is the only one that is FREE. :D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (decaym @ Feb. 26 2002,05:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As proud as I am of my callsign, you won't ever see me driving around with it displayed on the back of a car.  It is just too much like putting one's home address on a big sign for everyone to see.  Any jerk who feels slighted on the freeway has an easy way to find you where you live.

-- NQ4S[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If I'm not mistaken, I can go to the Tag Office in any state and get a printout of your information from your tag number. Here in Florida it is public information unless you have a block on your information for one of the allowed reasons.
        This is not a dig, just FYI for those whom may not be aware. A lot of people in Florida were surprised when they found out the State was selling their info to Companies. That has since stopped, or so they say!

Dave
    KG4FGZ

4. K8TMK

K8TMK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a great idea. Perhaps I will do something like that for those of us in Michigan. Incidentally, after may years of being able to get our callsigns printed on Michigan license plates (only $2 extra fee), the state has finally come out with a new plate that actually says "Amateur Radio" down the left side of the plate.

Randy, K8TMK

5. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New York State Ham Radio Plate application is available in PDF format from:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv411.pdf

P.S. the Amateur Radio plates are viewable online at:

http://www.nysdmv.com/emerg.htm

They aren't as pretty as the new standard issue "Empire state" plates, although if I had my way, I would rather have the old Statue of Liberty plates with RF radiating from the torch with my callsign ;-)

6. KR6ER

KR6ER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all for the information, but getting the forms is the easy part.  It's what happens once you have turned in your form.  If your state is anything like the California DMV, your in for a fun time.  Most local DMV office in any state are not very aware of the forms or proceedures for HAM plates.  I have gone through it three times so far and everytime they manage to screw it up, So be patient.   [​IMG]

7. N8CBJ

N8CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting ham plates in Ohio has been easy...it's just $10 extra per year. You use the same vanity plates form as everyone else, except you check "Amateur Radio". I got my plates within 7 days. Can't complain about that! You can get all forms online at www.oplates.com.

- Mike, N8CBJ

Ohio BMV

8. N5OZQ

N5OZQ Banned QRZ Page

It's been a download form in Tejas for some time. A 2 dollar vanity tag that helps those of us that suffer from CRS to remember their otherwise innocuous tag number. My ham ticket is listed to my P.O. box, so the home QTH whereabouts is not a problem. I have had this tag for abt a year and saw no uptake on junk mail. AND due to the way it is printed here, the somewhat 'federal' look to the tag has, I believe allowed certain graces in other states for behaviours on the interstate.  [​IMG]

9. AI6Q

AI6Q Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kr6er @ Feb. 26 2002,09:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks to all for the information, but getting the forms is the easy part.  It's what happens once you have turned in your form.  If your state is anything like the California DMV, your in for a fun time.  Most local DMV office in any state are not very aware of the forms or proceedures for HAM plates.  I have gone through it three times so far and everytime they manage to screw it up, So be patient.   [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I had a heck of a time in the People's Republic of California. It turns out that when the DMV receives your request for vanity plates your current plates are IMMEDIATELY invalid and you are driving illegal! When my HAM plates finally came 4 months after driving around with invalid plates, they said A16Q instead of AI6Q. I sent the plates back with a scathing email about deporting illegals rather than keeping them locked up to make plates, and 3 weeks later I had a shiny new set of AI6Q plates for all to see and enjoy.

One is on the car, and the other is on the wall since my car didn't come with any type of front plate mounting hardware. (Also illegal in the PRC)

Steve de AI6Q

10. kb9zcv

kb9zcv QRZ Member QRZ Page

It's funny that I ran across this today. I just had to go to the license service place today to get a temporary plate because my amateur plate isn't here and my old plate expires tomorrow at midnight.
    I live in Illinois and this is the first time I have been able to get my ham license on my plate. I am a new ham.
    I ordered my plate on January 11th and when I went there today they said it would be another 8 to 12 weeks before I get it.
    They had to make several calls from the license service I went through before they would even give me a temporary plate.
    I'm glad to hear other states have their act together.
    73, Jeff KB9ZCV

11. K0FRU

K0FRU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the comments and mail. For some reason qsl.net wouldnt allow the file to be opened or downloaded so i moved it to my other server. The main reason I put the form online is because it took 20 minutes for the person at the DMV here to find and make a copy of it for me and some of the guys here have had similar waits as well.

Heres the link that replaces the qsl.net link.
    ham plate pdf

Thanks and 73!
    w0avm [​IMG]

12. KB1GNI

KB1GNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, New Hampshire does not have an amateur radio plate.  [​IMG]
    How many other states don't have these plates available? Anyone know?

13. AK6S

AK6S Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Ham buddies!
    Here in Az it is easy to get ham plates.  What is difficult is after someone steels your vehicle and you don't get it back.  Plates are in the computer as stolen and no replacement plate can be issued.
    I never thought about how easy it would be for the bad guy to retrive our home information!  Just did think!
    Sherry AK6S

14. AA9AW

AA9AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting thing about Wisconsin amateur plates is that you can have your callsign on multiple cars. It really screws with the guys at the quicklube place, they can't understand how I have two cars with the exact same plate [​IMG]

15. N4FWD

N4FWD Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (decaym @ Feb. 26 2002,05:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As proud as I am of my callsign, you won't ever see me driving around with it displayed on the back of a car.  It is just too much like putting one's home address on a big sign for everyone to see.  Any jerk who feels slighted on the freeway has an easy way to find you where you live.

-- NQ4S[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You would be surprised at how many folks have no idea of what a callsign is, much less how to look it up. With the advent of Internet, a lot of people assume the callsign is an Internet handle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.