ad: hrd-2

Neat Product

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KQ9J, Jun 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just thought I'd pass along this idea to those who like to build stuff.

I had a couple of those el-cheapo little 3-digit Chinese voltmeters and some very small project boxes. I wanted to make little voltage displays that one could attach to a power supply, battery pack etc. I used an Xacto type blade to cut the openings in the boxes, but as carefully as I tried, I had an uneven opening that showed gaps between the project box and the meter.

I found a product called Sugru Mouldable Glue. It comes in packets and is sort of like a putty. I cut off thin strips, pressed it in place around the meters, and smoothed it out with a wet finger. I think it turned out OK!

Voltmeters.JPG

N5AL, W7UUU, KP4SX and 8 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work. I can imagine what my results might look like :(

3. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks SteamPunk! I like it

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You could use it for nose jobs!!

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N5AL likes this.
  5. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great for achieving that Jimmy Durante style and flair!
    Jimmy_Durante.jpg

Cool idea though. Does the glue harden when it dries, or does it remain a little bit flexible?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After 24-48 hours it is like rubber. Doesn't shrink or get hard. You could remove it if you really wanted to.

N5AL likes this.
  7. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve used it for strain relief on cables. Hard to make “professional” looking, though. Always has a MacGyver appearance to it.