Near unobtainium dual-gate mosfets

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KL7AJ, Jun 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I was fixing a friend's FT901DM (great rig, by the way; I have one of my own). One of the pre-driver transistors went out, a small signal dual gate mosfet.
    I found just TWO of these on Ebay....for $16....not as bad as it could have been.
    One of the sellers I passed on had "refurbished" units. How in tarnation does one REFURBISH a mosfet?
    Anyway....I don't know why nobody manufactures dual gate mosfets any more. They're wonderful little devices, and they used to grow on trees.

Anyhoo...if you have any dual gate mosfets....treasure them....at least don't throw them away!
    Eric the Elder

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

NTE carries a few dual gate MOSFETs, under $15.

And UJTs too. And some other retro semi-exotics.

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe as manufacturers improved their production lines they phased out old products like MOSFETS instead of figuring out how to make old stuff with their new facilities.

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/
    Dan is a source of obsolete FETs.

Zak W1VT

4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to eBay

K1LKP likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

Thanks Zack. Its now in my Rolodex

6. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I just went through this with a TS-530. Luckily, I found an old Heathit version of a 40673 in my junk box.

I did come across this company who makes 3N211 series parts, but I did not inquire about small orders.
    www.digitroncorp.com

7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Some times I am doing more scrapping than repair , I ran out of room .
    And now chasing the gold content in the components .
    I wish I had the room to try to organize collectables / unobtainium .
    So many places are closing and getting rid of stuff , and I have moved a lot for many shops in my area .

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have wondered the same thing. I figure that they are used and tested good.

Just like a Refurbished Computer.

Taking a mosfet apart to REFURBISH it may be a bit tricky. I would Love to have those skills.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KL7AJ