ad: AbAuRe-1

Near Space "Cross-Band" Repeater - June 4th, KS, OK & MO

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by AC0AE, May 9, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC0AE

AC0AE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Join the fun Saturday June 4th by talking through our high-high-altitide cross-band repeater! It will be like taking through a satellite!

The high altitude weather balloon is expected to rise above Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri to 100,000 feet!

Please see the attached fliers and share with your ham communities.

73's
    Bret C
    AC0AE

Attached Files:

K0UO likes this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When you lunch put that out on the KANOKLA Link

3. AC0AE

Good idea!
    Be sure to set up your radio for the cross-band frequencies ahead of time. Some radios are a challenge to set up.

Bret
    AC0AE

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

They should have picked better frequencies. Those are likely to cause and receive interference. No tone listed for the input. That's not a good idea either.

K0UO and K8BZ like this.
  5. AC0AE

How have you handled this on your balloon?

Bret C
    AC0AE

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never built or operated a balloon. If you have to ask a question like that then maybe you shouldn't be operating a device that can cause harmful interference for hundreds of miles.

7. AC0AE

Oh - ok. It sounded like you were an expert on the subject.

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have sense enough to not pick frequencies that close to repeater frequencies.

Did you know that 147.900 and 147.915 are common repeater inputs or outputs?
    Did you know that 449.000 and 449.0125 are common repeater inputs or outputs?
    Do you know how much bandwidth a FM signal occupies and how wide the average FM receiver passband is?
    Do you think that being 2.5 or 5 kHz away from a repeater frequency won't be a problem?

9. AC0AE

Yes - we did our homework on the selection of frequencies for the cross-band repeater.
    1. Obviously, had to be amateur frequency
    2. Not a used KS, OK, MO, AR repeater frequency
    3. Not a uses satellite frequency
    4. I decided to not use a tone since likely interferers will be simplex operators, and if we had a tone then we won't hear the interferer. I want to know if we are being interfered.

147.910 / 449.010 --
    1. Are amateur frequencies
    2. Not used in KS, OK, MO, AR repeaters
    3. Not uses on satellites
    Bret C
    AC0AE

KI5IXX likes this.