ad: AlphaRF-1

NCVEC Files No-Code Petition

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n8ary @ July 31 2003,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I didn't know techs would be able to operate ANY mode on HF. This would be letting General and Extra Class Ops use the same bands as before. Just no cw to get the upgrade.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Remember the novice sub bands? They should get those. They will be on HF, but only in the CW portion of the band. (Except for 10 meters)

2. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] UPDATE on earlier post.... e - ham has now dropped this "important " item to # 4 on its list of news items ( down to # 4 from # 3 yesterday ). So it must NOT be as important as some may think, and no the sky is not falling (lol)...so lets all take some words from others on page 3, 16, 22 and 31 of this post and reprint them on this page so it will look original...do it now !! [​IMG]

3. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

Though im an extra class operator and v.e. as well. I am in favor of eliminating the code. It is a thing of the passed. Still at 5 w.p.m. people have a hard time trying to lern it. I am retired from the Rail road a conductor. And if any of you are fimiliar with emergency break applications or cab siginal hits as well as being next to a screaming 3000 hp diesel all day head end power motors ect. It plays havoc on your hearing. If you have lived it you'll understand. To get a extra class licens with no code is still an acomplishment for those that want to go that high. so I say yes to eliminating the code !!! [​IMG]

4. KX5G

KX5G Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w0dz @ Aug. 01 2003,01<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am a Republican and proud of it.  Calling me a Dem is about as low as calling me a free-bander.

Would someome PLEASE give a technical reason for keeping the code.  So far all I see is arrogant reasons to keep the code.

I passed my 20 wpm, big deal!  It's no longer applicable

DE KX5G
    CW Testing, may it Rest in Peace

5. W6TH

W6TH Guest

QST   QST   QST   QST

My last of posting on this thread, so want to say that:

Fred/W5YI, Chairman
    NCVEC Rules Committee

Had the GUTs to let it be known his feelings as to the code or no code testing, should be kept or abolished.  My hat off to you om.  I have yet to get any aknowlegement from our leading rag publisher ARRL as to whether or not they agree to having the code testing abolished or retained. In my thoughts this is politics. The ARRL is in the middle and not worthy of the Amateur support. ARRL has put the burden on Fred W5YI and is going to sit back and then say and tell all what a great job they have done for the fraternity, in the meantime, poor Fred is going to take it from both sides, but no problem as Fred is a strong individual and can handle this matter in a manly way.

Again Fred, my hat off to you for a job well done, whether or not I am in favor or not, still a great mans job.

73 and hope many won't detest you for your work on the no code. Tough situation ahead  Fred and know you will grin and bare it.

W6TH

6. AG9R

AG9R Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RDAtchison @ Aug. 01 2003,07:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope they do get rid of the code requirement. It made sence years ago, but with all the available means of communication these days, why bother. This is all that holds me back from getting my general ticket. I cant hear the tones well enough but dont qualify for a waiver. Learning the code equates to me as having to learn to saddle a horse to drive a car. 73's//W4IXL//[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Dude Ive had 28 Ear Surguries since I was a Baby at 17 and 18 yrs old had one mastoidectomy on each ear with the removal of the mastiod bone, Have Bilateral Ear Drum damage and Exessive scarring on the membrain and ear drum with a 55db loss in the R ear and a 65 DB loss in the Left Ear I passed the 5 WPM we just cranked up the VOLUME, So Excuse Dismissed and Filed in Trash can # 6
    P.S My X-Wife is TOTALY deaf and has been since childhood she can copy and send at about 12 WPM using a flashing light...I cant do it because I didnt have to so never learned it that way but my point is never use someting like that as a excuse there are alot of people that have Hearing disabilities and copy code.
    ** unless you rode to school on a small bus there is no excuse.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

7. AG9R

AG9R Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KX5G @ Aug. 01 2003,09:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w0dz @ Aug. 01 2003,01<!--emo&[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wondering how many of you who are such vociferous anti-code advocates are also Democrats. I suspect that this debate could be a liberal/conservative type schism.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am a Republican and proud of it.  Calling me a Dem is about as low as calling me a free-bander.

Would someome PLEASE give a technical reason for keeping the code.  So far all I see is arrogant reasons to keep the code.

I passed my 20 wpm, big deal!  It's no longer applicable

DE KX5G
    CW Testing, may it Rest in Peace[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well Calling me a Republican is about the same there man, besides Im an American First. theres jerks on both sides............

8. N3OMA

N3OMA Ham Member QRZ Page

MANUALLY SENT CW is one of the few things that make ham radio operators more valuable than any other radio operator. CW is not just a radio mode, nor does it require sophisticated equipment to send. It is now even more important since everyone else has stopped using it.

In the event of a major catastrophe manual CW can be sent using any transmitter or any source of RF (such as a high voltage transformer, microwave oven, etc...) Even without having a receiver, an emergency message can be sent. You can send a message via smoke signals or light or banging a drum. CW is a highly versatile and underused mode of communications. It is significantly more reliable than satellites or any communications mode requiring delicate sophisticated equipment to communicate. How well will RTTY work or digital communications when the infrastructure is destroyed? Guess what - even if a nuclear blast hits, as long as I am alive I will be able to fire up my old tube rig and send CW! Let's see if your PC or digital radio will still work!

SSB and digital are great modes, but we need to remember that CW requires the least amount of equipment and will work when all else fails.

There are few things that set us aside as hams and make it worthwhile for the federal government to continue paying for the support infrastructure that allows us to exist. Our worth as absolute communications backup in an emergency is one of the few things that keeps us around. If we loose our value, our spectrum will be taken away and the fun part of our hobby during non-emergency times will cease to exist.

We need to emphasize the value of CW to all hams – code and no code and continue to support it as a valued means of emergency communications.

9. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm seeing a trend in this and other CW forums.  It seems that most (but not all) of the people who are against CW, don't know how to spell!  

Could be two things I suppose.  

One - they could be afraid to use CW for fear of embarrassment.

Two - they are the type of person who is too lazy to learn.

Just an observation,
    Marco, W7WIK

10. K5KDA

K5KDA Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that the 5WPM code requirement is not too much to ask but enought to limit this hobby to people who are serious enough to learn it in order to participate thus keeping it from becoming another citizens band. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.